Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Want to get in to CNC programing

aha24

Hi my name is Adam I am 28 and from Gardner Mass. I am a CNC operator for a Furniture company here. I have been out of work for almost a year now because of a work related back injury. My Dr. said that I will not be able to continue my current job, and told me to go for vocational training. I really enjoy CNC's though- I have only been running them for 3 years. I would like to stay working with them if possible. I was wondering how I could get started in CNC programming. I got my GED recently so I can continue my education in this field and I have been looking in to CAD courses. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

jimspac training from MACDAC Engineering sounds very interesting to me. I wonder if I would qualify for the unemployed free course because I receive workman’s comp. and have not been officially let go from my job. I still receive benefits from my job.

Try to get the demo version of Mastercam and some books and start to learn it alone too.

Don`t waste your time ,it is very intuitive and easy to learn ,especially because of your CNC experience .

And ask your questions .

The course is the important thing and prefeable ,but anyway you must learn and work and play with it alone too ,otherwise you `ll not became a top rank .

I wish you good luck and I think you `ll succeed !

The other nice thing about MACDAC in Fitchburg is that it is only about 10-15min down the highway from me.

"Quote” Try to get the demo version of Mastercam and some books and start to learn it alone too.

Don’t waste your time; it is very intuitive and easy to learn, especially because of your CNC experience. "Quote"

What books do you recommend? As far as my experience on CNC the company I worked for did furniture in high volume and paid me piece work. They liked to keep the operators in the Dark as much as possible we had a team leader that did most of our in program changes and tool set ups we did our own xyz adjustments tool diameter ect...

They liked to keep the operators in the Dark as much as possible

Oh,I see .

So you must go to the course .

I don`t know about books ,I am from Israel and have not seen Mastercam books here except the basic books you are getting with the program ,but make a search in the forum ,you will find a lot of info about books .

I hope others would recommend you some books .

But if you`ll get even basic books from somewhere,say ask the books for the older version for a couple of days it will give you the push in the right direction smile.gif

Adam,

Welcome to the board. wink.gif

You say that you liked running the cnc's....

Well I can tell you that programming them is even better!

As long as you have a decent understanding of how the machines work,you should have no problem being able to program them.

Also,If you are not at war with your company for your mishap,it may be in their best interest to send you to school at no cost to you at all.

If not, you may be able to get an "educational version" of mastercam to learn the ropes of programming.

anyway good luck and stop by here with your questions. cheers.gif

Bucket Head I am not at war with the company as of yet and workers comp. is supposed to pay for my training they go by what I am most qualified for up until I started running CNC's I worked warehouse shipping and receiving. Seeing as workers comp. is paying I am trying to figure out the best way to get started and get the most info from a course. I am not sure how I would look for an entry level job because the job market seems to suck in everything except the military. I am sure a certificate from a training course or something from a college would look good when looking for a job. I still would like to get started on my own just not sure how to quite go about it all I was afraid to try for CNC programming because I thought I would be way under qualified.

Have you spoke to your current employer about them maybe opening up a position in the programming dept.?

After all,you did get hurt working for them.

One would think that they would be kissing your feet. rolleyes.gif

BTW...I am from Mass. too.

And used to stay at a place in Gardner for the weekend.

I forget the name of the place.

I work for Nichols and Stone furniture. Just before my injury they hired a new programer and thats all they use is one workers comp. asked if they had anything available for me but they said no.

[ 03-21-2004, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: aha24 ]

Adam, the training at macdac is free to you and not subject to approval from workman compensation. Also at the end of the class(es) Macdac provides you with a certificate of completion. I recommend getting the Mill book from this website($65)and taking the class at Macdac as soon as one is available for you. The problem with learning on your own to start is that you tend to reinforce bad habits that are hard to break down the line. Macdac will get you off to an excellent start that you can expand on your own with the book and Mastercam Demo. I had purchased a seat of Mastercam Draft to be able to save drawings to bring into Demo. I had checked into an educational seat of Mastercam and ended up with the Draft seat. As far as what Macdac can do, call them and ask.

aha24,

Welcome to the forum! biggrin.gif There are all types of great people in this user forum. If you're interested in training in Mastercam, consider all your options. We are also not too far from Gardner. Matter of fact it's probably only another 5-10 minutes down rte. 2 and 190 from where you currently reside. As Steve posted, visit our website. We're also felxible and are happy to discuss any options with training. Some resources are good but nothing can replace a formal course with experienced manufacturing engineers to answer your questions. HTH biggrin.gifcheers.gif