Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

I have been Haas'd

within a thou

My Haas has been working like crap lately and now its doing a really fun thing. I use G10 a lot for similiar parts that only difference is the type of finishing. So lately my Haas when it reads the R value it will set it correctly then a few parts later it will add its own value. Put R.004 I get R.012. Other then the fact its a Haas is there any reason this should do this? I am hoping to not have to start replacing boards or the controller but I can't have the machine changing offsets to whatever it wants on me. Thanks in advance for any help.

There is no G91 its not doing this incrementally. I* can run 10 parts and it will put the right offset in then the 11th it changes my R value to some random number that wouldn't even add up if it was moving in a incremental value.

Are you using any macro variables? Perhaps some interference with the parts counter?

Not that I know of. I used 10 good 11th bad as an example the problem is completely random. I have been having a tonne of problems I am thinking its a board thats dying but trying to band aid it long enough till I can convince the ones signing PO's that Haas is a POS I will run a part everything is good then it will run the next part and the feed will just stop and I get a alarm 366. Check the alarm message it says "unassigned". There is no alarm 366. But yet it stops the machine. Another problem I had with it the other day was. I had a tall part and long tool so I had to put safety move so the umbrella tool changer didn't crash and the tool cleared the part. Ran a couple pieces and except for the itermitentalarm 366 and my automatic coolant not being able to position and alarming out the machine I was hesitant everytime that tool was called and M00 that tool and would reduce my rapid to make sure it goes up before getting over the part the tool started going up I hit 100% rapid button. It jumped my block and instead of clearing to the commanded g43 Z clearance plane it went to the next block and snapped my tool off into the side of the piece. The tool was a 1.5" indexable that snapped like a twig. Can't believe it snapped before blowing the servo and stalling the machine. And the last fun thing it decided to do later that next day was grab the wrong tool. I command T2 it grabbed T20. I reset the program. go into mdi try to pull t2 tool doesn't change. I go back into the program restart it it grabs the right tool and chugs along doing what I am telling it to do. And of couirse this all happens on rush jobs where the truck is scheduled before the parts are made and these delays causes my salesmen to have to call the customers and delay shipment and reschedule cartage. My salesmen don't give a flying eff about the machine not working right they are butt hurt they have to call customers and have that conversation and look at me like this is my fault.

If you continue you may be putting yourself in a dangerous position every time you put your head in the machine. I was tightening a bolt on a vise in our VF2 one day and -X- axis jumped like it was going to take off to its home position. It alarmed out, but scared the heck out of me.

Now it has a memory module or the CPU flaking out on it. I have now scrapped 3 parts and one facemill because when I load a program into the machine sometimes it retains the program that is in the control. It says DISK DONE like it loaded the new program. But the program from the day before or whatever will still be the program in the control. Really scary, especially when the new program is using a different offset, or is programmed Z0 at the top instead of the bottom, which is what got the facemill buried into my vise as shrapnel shot into my face. You do this stuff every day and get so used to everything working like it should. But the one day you aren't paying that extra bit of attention to the little details and you get a piece of carbide embedded under your eye.

That's why they have door locks, Kevin. :smoke:

Actually, I wish I could disable mine. Or do I...

One thing i will not allow in my shop is disabling door locks or other safety interlocks. It might make things a little more difficult or inconvenient from time to time but it might safe an operator's life. A few months back a machine operator in another local shop was killed when a CNC lathe ripped his arm off and he bled out. I really feel for him and his family, but also the others in that shop that had the misfortune of being there and witnessing that.

Bob,

I never realized how much stuff I used to do on our Fadals with the doors open until now, when I can't open the doors. Even a simple coolant nozzle adjustment is a PIA. You can't even change a tool with the doors open. I *do* understand the safety aspect of it, but that doesn't mean that I have to like it. :rambo:

Thad

Bob,

I never realized how much stuff I used to do on our Fadals with the doors open until now, when I can't open the doors. Even a simple coolant nozzle adjustment is a PIA. You can't even change a tool with the doors open. I *do* understand the safety aspect of it, but that doesn't mean that I have to like it. :rambo:

Thad

I hear you 100%.

You have to respect the machine for the amount of power it has. People really do underestimate them. I religiously wear my safety glasses at the machine because I have heard horror stories and even had some very close calls myself. It is a risk running with the doors open for sure. But running one-off programs is a pain if you can't watch what you are doing. If I had good verify software and a PC able to run it, it would be a VERY different story. But when I am running a new program and I have to verify it in a piece of material on a machine because it is faster than it is on my PC and the machine has windows you can't see through, I am going to watch what the tool is doing before I close the doors. I'm not perfect. And last week at work sure proved that because it was one of the worst I've had for a number of reasons. So I never load a program into the machine and hit go without being on the feed hold button and peeking in to see how much clearance I have. I try to set all my Z clearance planes to 2" above the material on every toolpath. I always run my tool down and feed hold above the part. Then I look at the positions to see where I am supposed to be and visually compare by looking at the tool's position from my -Z-0. Then I slowly feed to the first cut. Once the tool starts cutting I let her go. But none of this does me any good if I cannot see what I am doing. It's a risk I take to try to keep from scrapping a part and or doing damage to the machine because of a mistake.

I guess I come from old school ways when there were no doors and have just kept doing things that way. Anyone seen a Haas Tool Room mill? Or how about a Bridgeport? Older Okuma's? How about an engine lathe? I worked in an Aerospace shop making one-off parts for GE and I remember we had 4'x8' sheets of plywood we used for shields. On one side there was a handle to hold on to. I remember walking by a co-worker on a Bullard VTL. He was cutting a 5' tall Inconel part and had one of these shields. The chips coming off were so thick that when they hit you it hurt from the weight of the chip hitting you more than the heat of the chip burning you. I actually took one in the eye under my safety glasses and not only did I have a burn that singed my eyelids together but I had a bruise under my eye. It looked like I was in a bar fight.

So yes, it is dangerous to run a machine with the door open. But so is sky diving.

• Like 1

My operators are unskilled they are button pushers I make sure the doors are always closed when they are the one in front of it flipping parts. It's easy for us who program and are machinist who know the proper ways to use distance to go and to verify tool lengths before there is a boom and where we want the machine to go to limit problems before it happens. When I started oin cnc after years on manuals I was forced to learn how to program from my first day on the machine.

I refuse to run other peoples program when its my face in the machine and I can't read block by block. I really don't know how operators can feel comfortable running these machines when they can't read code. Atleast they trust I will keep them safe. I just started at this place recently and the last programmer manually programmed everything. He didn't know you could actually have more then one program in the machine at a time. All of our work is reepeat we have a product line that we just keep rolling all of our parts as orders come in.They manually reprogram part a each and everytime they got a PO for that specific part. The amount of smashed tools and holders I have on the floor from mistakes manual programming and trying to machine 2 inches deep with a tool that is sticking a inch out of a holder is embarassing to look at. Here is a pic of one of our award winners.I will put it in my next post as its loaded in my phone and not on my computer.

What would a crash from months ago have to do with offsets chanfing themselves and alarms being generated that don't even exist?

i don't have a direct answer for that, but a shop that previous to you seems to want to memorialize Major crashes (by saving destroyed tool holders) that show negligence on multi levels just speaks of how things were running. seems management need a philosophy change; take care of the equipment and it will take care of them. part of this is skill level of people which they seem to be addressing by hiring you.

There is no G91 its not doing this incrementally. I* can run 10 parts and it will put the right offset in then the 11th it changes my R value to some random number that wouldn't even add up if it was moving in a incremental value.

so your code looks exactly like this, WITH the G90:

G10 L12 G90 P5 R.375 {Set diameter for Tool #5 to .375”};

??