Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Air Turbine Speeders

We just bought one a month ago and it seems like it looses a lot of RPM's quickly. At 30,000 rpm using a 1/8 Carbide 4 flute endmill, I plunged at 21 ipm using helical entry and my linear feed was 84ipm at .055" doc. This was max and was in 6061 alum. It lost about 8000 rpm when cutting at these feeds and speeds. It did improve one job for me though. Using a 1/8 conical cutter to cut splines I ended up getting the best finish I've ever had on that job. I only had marginal feed increases on that job although It allowed me to do it in one pass instead of a second spring pass saving me 2 1/2 hrs on that job. I have another job coming up for it where I will do some surfacing. We'll see how that goes. Keep in mind that I am still in the testing stages of it.

.338 - welcome to the forum :D

Thanks for the info - it looks like .02" as a depth of cut then for an 1/8 tool at that feedrate would probably be max load without any revs dropping.

What model have you got and are you autochanging?

:cheers:

Thanks for the welcome newbeeee. The model we have is a BMS (Bryan Machine Service), model #VRTMTNT275 and I am autochanging. It has a variable spindle up to 40000 rpm. I am still in the break-in period so I can't go over 30000 rpm yet.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are still looking for a speeder, I have one I'd like to sell. I tried to sell this with my CNC but they didn't want it. I believe its a Precise 40k unit. Has the control unit & chiller. Best part is I want it sold & it'll be less then about anyone else.

For that matter if anyone is interested in it IM me.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I did a bit of testing today with an air turbine speeder. This was a BT40 one rated at 40krpm.

The most it would run was F750 and this was a 2mm dia 3flute 30deg carbide (with good radial clearance - more of a router cutter I suppose) and 0.5mm deep.

So no good for what we want to do.

I subsequently run the same cutter on the machine at 10krpm and F1000 with no probs, but in production I reckon we can run at F900 ok.

This was 12x slots 120mm long, 7mm deep in 6082 ally.

Ooohhhhh why didn't father Christmas deliver a couple of 24krpm robodrills...

What model speeder?

I've just packed it up and taped it all back up to be tnt'd...

Don't know but it was a big diameter body - probably 120mm? on the bt40 backend.

When it was running, a bit of finger pressure on the side of the collet nut would significantly slow it down. Not too much pressure as pinky would get hot very quickly!

'Elf an safety - I larf in your general direction :hrhr: