Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Helix entry in pocket. ccw or cw?

petelru

quote:

if it's a helical entry in a pocket, isn't it climb cutting no matter if you are going cw or ccw?

If your helix radius is small enough to not create a hub, then no.

If you are leaving a hub, then I suppose you could arrive at that conclusion. As a rule I never create hub, so I always consider CCW a climb milling

• 5 years later...

quote:

if it's a helical entry in a pocket, isn't it climb cutting no matter if you are going cw or ccw?

If your helix radius is small enough to not create a hub, then no.

If you are leaving a hub, then I suppose you could arrive at that conclusion. As a rule I never create hub, so I always consider CCW a climb milling

i just search for the answer of the helix entry mode of CW OR CCW.

for now, i am using mastercam x9 for solidworks 2015.  

the dynamic mill tool always give a cw entry to a pocket. (for example: using 6.0 flat end mill for 3.5 radius entry)

but if you choose the helix toolpath (2d circle toolpath), the mastercam will give you a ccw toolpath.

so i would like to know, which one of direction entry is better for a flat endmill helix into a solid body.

and what's more, in this video, they choose the ccw entry toolpath.

if anyone have an idea or some experiences in this, please share with me.

thanks!!

tom

post-49067-0-51437000-1441027955_thumb.jpg

post-49067-0-16152200-1441027985_thumb.jpg

i just search for the answer of the helix entry mode of CW OR CCW.

for now, i am using mastercam x9 for solidworks 2015.  

the dynamic mill tool always give a cw entry to a pocket. (for example: using 6.0 flat end mill for 3.5 radius entry)

but if you choose the helix toolpath (2d circle toolpath), the mastercam will give you a ccw toolpath.

so i would like to know, which one of direction entry is better for a flat endmill helix into a solid body.

if anyone have an idea or some experiences in this, please share with me.

thanks!!

tom

Are you wanting to climb the wall of the helical entry or the or have the endmill climb the center?

In the Dynamic hspeed toolpaths you need to change the radius of the helix to effect the direction.

If you use the exact tool radius or larger then the helix will move in a clockwise direction.

If you use less than the radius of the tool the helix will move in a counter clockwise direction

The difference between one direction being better than the other would be best answered by the tooling manufacture.

Personally I prefer CCW,...

CCW if you have to.

I prefer to ramp where I can - I think it's better on the tool and machine.

If you have the space and stay in the ramp parameters of yor cutting tool. I run mostly inserted tools and prefer helix hands down. Climb or conventional depends on material. Most stuff climb, sand cast and other mean stuff gets conventional.

I never really thought about it before but John's method makes sense. I never leave a hub by setting my minimum and maximum helix radius to 45% of my cutter diameter but I have been cutting CW because it is the default setting. I think I will switch to CCW.

Some cutters, like SwiftCarb Rampmills, require an entry radius larger than the cutter radius in order to maximize the ramp angle. In this case you would get a hub.