Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New Machine Options

What kind of parts?

At my old shop we bought a YCI -NSV series, we took a leap on a recommendation from a great tech I know, and it turned out a very robust machine. Nice wide casting. Box ways and twin ball screws the size of my arm (y-axis). Big plus spindle with chiller. Somewhere over 2000ipm rapids. And good ole' 21i variant control, with fanuc motors on everything (the good ones, not the cheapo's). They saved money on it being a tiwanees machine, the toolchanger needed some help, and some weird stuff (like the airgun, for instance) were harbor-freight specials. Support and parts were very good out of California (mostly toolchanger parts). How is the dealer if you do need support?

I know that's not the model your looking at (looks like their product offering is pretty large now). Can you travel to see one anywhere?

I'd not even consider the Haas given your two other options.

I know nothing of the Mazak, so can't help you there. Contact Chris M here, and mention Mazak. Guaranteed an opinion. :D I believe he is in your neck of the woods, so possible same dealer.

Thanks for the input guys. We will be using tthe machine to cut aluminum molds 95% of the time. No production machining. Any alternate suggestions are welcome also. My limiting factors include: a machine with 30 inches of y-axis travel, 12000 rpm spindle, and a cost of less than $200K.

that opens up a lot of doors right there.

I personally would look into Matsuura and Makino offerings. they make some very fast accurate machines. support in your area would be a very large factor to consider.

I would not rule out Mori Seiki either but above would be my top choices even above Mazak.

The coolest feature of the VTC, is the fixed table/traveling column. Makes it real easy to do HUGE parts if you need to. One of my customers buys lots of YCM machines, they are really nice iron, but I don't think it'd be my choice for mold making unless the distributor made some sort of guarantee regarding finish/speed capabilities. There is no free lunch in this world - and when you buy a Taiwan machine, you're not getting the army of engineers fine tuning machine parameters during the R&D phase (if there even is an R&D phase).

I understand the support thing Joe. We currently use Chevalier VMCs and support is a joke, but we can deal with it. Personally I am leaning towards the YCM even though the max feedrate is 394 ipm. This machine has a much smaller footprint than the Haas or Mazak but it weighs 33% more.

Have you looked into Okuma at all? I love their machines and controls.

Also we have a Hyundai-Kia VX400 (fanuc control) that is surprisingly a very good machine, and it only cost us like 70k a couple yrs ago..it was a steal IMO, and we run every type of material on it.

• Like 1

I am checking into some of the other machines you guys have listed. The real problem is finding an affordable machine with 30 inches of y axis travel. The price nearly doubles over a machine with 20 inches of y axis travel.

Also Newbeeee, the Chevalier's have been very good machines for us also. It is only when we do have trouble that service is a problem.

Wow, Thanks Chris. Good honest feedback from the people using these machines is exactly what I was looking for. I would like to know the specifics for your opinion if possible. You can email me if you want to keep those opinions from the general public.

• 3 weeks later...
You learn a lot about people when their backs are against the wall

truer words were never spoken

Two of our biggest customers have invested heavily in Mazak machines so we should be able to

get some good feedback from them.

I think my boss plans or tour both facilities to get their opinions

I do know one of them had a difficult time bring their machines ( several e1850 twin pallets) online.. but I think it was more

a lack of skilled people than problems with the machines