Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Encrypted PST File - Can It be re-encrypted?

Mick

Ok, first of all, there is nothing underhanded here. Just wanted to make that clear :)

The question is, if I have a *.PST and PSB file, which is not encrypted to a particular SIM number (it isn't a purchased post, but a post supplied with the software), am I able to re-encrypt it?

The reason being, that I have done some major editing to it, and I wish to protect it.

Or, does it have to be re-encrypted using the un-encrypted PST file?

Yes, you can use 'mpbinx' to "re-bin" the post file. This adds another encrypted section to the PSB file, and can be used to lock the post down to a specific SIM number, or to add your own section of timing logic.

If you look inside the MP Documentation Porfolio, there is an entire guide that goes through how to use the utility, inluding the "re-binning" instructions.

Please be warned though: make sure you create multiple backup copies of the raw .PST file changes that you have made before the "re-binning" process. Once you've made the additional binned section changes, you can't go backwards.

It is technically possible to bin a post several times if you add extra functionality, but that can get messy to debug. Especially when you run into a customer that says "well it worked before, and now it doesn't". Once you've binned the post, it can be very difficult to try and debug the output, as the debugger won't show sections that are binned.

Hope that helps,

Colin

Ok, I just tried it (as per the instructions). However, it errors up with "Processing failed, attempt to process next file"

It writes the new pst and psb file, but it has removed the [endbin] line, and all post text after it.

What files did you start with Mick? The Generic Fanuc 5X Mill post from CNC can certainly be rebinned. Did you make sure you had both the PST and PSB files in the same folder?

This post has been customised from the Generic Fanuc 5X Mill post, but from a while back. The PST and PSB files were in the same folder.

Hmm. I wonder if there is an issue since it was originally binned in a previous version...

Have you used Update Post to bring your post to the current version?

As a last resort, I'd suggest taking a fresh copy of Gen Fan 5X for X7, and copy your changes over. There is a really good program called "beyond compare" that is perfect for tasks like that.

There really is no reason you shouldn't be able to re-bin that post...

There is a really good program called "beyond compare" that is perfect for tasks like that.

+1 on Beyond Compare - Someone mentioned it here a while ago and I bought it. It's superb.

Written by 'Scooter Software' :hrhr:

I can't be any more help here than this, so I'll bow out (dis)gracefully :D

Hmm. I wonder if there is an issue since it was originally binned in a previous version...

Have you used Update Post to bring your post to the current version?

As a last resort, I'd suggest taking a fresh copy of Gen Fan 5X for X7, and copy your changes over. There is a really good program called "beyond compare" that is perfect for tasks like that.

There really is no reason you shouldn't be able to re-bin that post...

Hmm, I was really hoping to not have to go down that route. I was considering approaching the Post department to see if they could do something about it, but that means going through my reseller, and well, you know the story there... :)

I might look at Beyond Compare and see what is involved in transferring the changes over.

• 1 month later...

Ok, sorry to resurrect this thread.

It turns out it didn't work. It must bork the psb, because it was 186kb and after rebinning, it is 1k :(

I'm curious, can rebinning an already binned post only be done via a dealer sim?

• 4 years later...

That's not correct according to the documentation;

Make sure you follow these guidelines:
 The [STARTBIN] and [ENDBIN] keywords must each be on a separate line and
start in the first column.
 The keywords must not appear inside a postblock.
 The keywords cannot be nested. You can, however, have multiple sets of
unnested keywords.
 If the keywords appear in comments (after the # symbol), MPBinX ignores them.
 If the keywords do not occur in ordered, matched pairs, MPBinX ignores them.

Please make sure to keep a backup of your post file!