Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T DNC to DYnapath 20??

jspangler

Hi There,

in the process of setting up a laptop to use for DNC'ing my larger programs to my Dynapath 20 control on my Tree VMC. ANy tips?? I know the basic process, and have no problem getting the PC and the control to communicate, but I'm wondering if there are any things to watch out for as far as how fast the PC sends the lines of code, etc.

Basically I'm trying this because I need more space than the control has, so if anyone has any better ideas, I'm all ears.

Thanks

John

John,

Jack's correct - I have had some sucess in slowing down the baud rate when "Drip Feeding" my control.

But I have also had some problems in data starvation in going down below 4800 baud. Mainly on surfacing toolpaths.

The best solution I have found, for me - using CIMCO EDIT as the DNC - is to add a "50ms" delay between the lines and send at 9600 baud.

Try what you can - something else may work for you?

Later,

Mark Anderson

Thanks.

I'm hoping to get this working today, as I have complettely run out of space in the control, for any type of multiple part programs. I guess learning how to use sub programs is next.

One last thing? Is there any way to get the programs to restart in a specific spot?? The closest I can get is to start at the beginning of the last closest operation??

THanks

John

John,

Sorry but on restarts - you are doing the only thing I am aware of the control will allow.

If you figure out the sub program part - let me know also - have not had a absolute need for that yet so I have not messed with it much.

If you have anything "Common" on your parts - drilling holes or such - you may be able to use the Macro function - I think it is standard on a "20" - it would give you a extra 10k of storage. Just a thought?!? headscratch.gif

Later,

Mark Anderson

John,

Autocon offers somekind of "DNC" option for this control - A friend has it - from what I understand about it, you can set up a folder on the PC, then load and save files directly from the control, back and forth between the PC and control. At least that is what I understand from him?????

Call Autocon - they could tell you more!

See if they would offer a better deal on 2 - I might even go for this? headscratch.gif

Later, got to go back to work!

Mark Anderson

John, MetaCut is comming out with some pretty cool features For tool breakage and tool wear. You will be able to graphical set up where you want to restart the program and it will put in all your header requirements, Also they are putting in DNC communications right out of the editor. I can give you a demo of it in class if you like.

OK.

Now does anyone remember how to get the dynapath set up to recieve the DNC drip feed programs?? I forgot, and can't find it in the 40 manuals I have for this machine!!

GOt the laptop running CImco, and connected to the network (it can only run windoze 95, boy was that fun!!), and it will transmit the programs fine.

How do I get it to drip feed??

Thanks

John

I called John and told him what I could on the phone, so now I will put the info here also. Someone else may need it in the future??

John,

Here are some screen shots of "Cimco Edit" from my laptop:

This is the port settings I am using.

VMC-Port.bmp

------------------------------------------------------------

This is the transmit settings screen.

VMC-Trans.bmp

Using these settings in "Cimco Edit" do the following:

1. Have your settings and such set as I do in the above screens.

2. Load your program in to Cimco.

3. In Cimco - bottom left corner - hit "Send to Machine" icon.

4. Go to the machine control - from the main screen - (hit "Mode Select" a couple of times) - press "C" for catalog.

5. Enter in - "RS232C" - and press "ENTER" on keypad.

6. Press "Mode Select" key - (you will notice you have lost some options on screen - no problem) - press the "1" key for auto operation.

7. Screen will show "RS232C" as the program name at the top.

8. Press "Cycle Start" and the program will start loading from the PC into the machine control. Once it has buffered enough into memory - the control will start processing the program - and the machine will start and run the program.

I don't remember off the top of my head - you will need 5K or 8K of free memory for the buffering of the program.

If you have any problems with data starvation you may have to adjust the baud rate or the delay on the "Transmit" tab in Cimco. If you do change the baude rate make sure and change it in the machine also.

If you need too -

Call me tonight or tomorrow at the shop - 865-805-9891 -

or you can e-mail me at the shop - [email protected].

(this is different from what I gave you on the phone - that was my home e-mail)

Later,

Mark Anderson

I have a delta 20 and I just use the cncedit that came with mill7 to DNC.

9600 and the standard settings are good.

All you have to do is strip the carriage returns or it will error.

I couldn't figure out how to get the new one with Mill9 to strip them so I just used the old one heh .....use a null modem cable also smile.gif

Murlin

Murlin,

John is really talking about "DRIP-FEEDING" the machine from a PC not just "DNC-ing" (sending) a program to it. We both have similar machines. He has the same problem I have with this machine - NOT ENOUGH MEMORY!

I use Cimco Edit for both DNC and Drip-Feeding my machine - it works GREAT for me!

Humm, You have to strip the CR's - I don't do this with Cimco? Interesting! headscratch.gif

You ought to try Cimco - it is FREE! Once you get it set up - you will really like it - I think?

Later,

Mark Anderson

HI

Thanks, I was just getting ready to list all the settings that I used today that worked, so I could do a search in a few months when I need to drip feed again.

THanks Mark, and everyone.

BTW, I gave up on the networking. I could literally watch the little network connection lite on the start menu of my mastercam desktop blink on -off -on - off, which was connecting - disconnecting -connecting -disconnecting from the laptop (which is forced to run windows 95!!).

I just got so fed up I punched the laptop, and it took me about half an hour to find all the keys that flew off. I Still can't find the dang space bar!!

SO, i've decided to sneakernet it to the laptop and use it ONLY for memory / hard disk space, or i'll be tempted to give that POS the final stress test by tossing into the parking lot.

Thanks ALOT

John

John,

Temper, Temper!!! J/K biggrin.gif

Glad you got it working! You did? confused.gif Right???

Personaly, I use Cimco and send the files across our small office ethernet network to what is called a "MOXA BOX", it's just a serial network box. My dealer "Cad/Cam Solutions" got it for me.

I do it like this so no matter what PC in the office I have the MC key installed on - I can send programs to the mills, lathe or the wire machine.

Works really nice! smile.gif

Later folks - Got to go watch the Lady Vols play Stanford!

GO VOLS'

Mark Anderson

HI

THat sounds like what I need.

I got it working, but it took me ALL DAY, most of which was spent trying to figure out why the network connection was messin' up.

It works great, and I've already cut a couple of tables of parts.

Thanks Again

BTW here are the features on my machine you were asking about:

concurrency (?)

basic calc assist

macros

graphics

advanced calc assist

rigid tapping

buffered input

That's it.

Thanks

John