Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

.sldprt issues

elraiis

Hey Guys

i got some .sldprt files from a customer and he is telling me I can pick the holes informations from his solid he doesn’t wanna print out PDF files. Is there a way for mastercam or a converter or whatever it is to be able to click on the holes of his solid and be able to tell if it’s 1/4-20 tap or 6-32 tap and so on? I hope am making sense. Can mastercam do this? Thx

1 minute ago, elraiis said:

Hey Guys

i got some .sldprt files from a customer and he is telling me I can pick the holes informations from his solid he doesn’t wanna print out PDF files. Is there a way for mastercam or a converter or whatever it is to be able to click on the holes of his solid and be able to tell if it’s 1/4-20 tap or 6-32 tap and so on? I hope am making sense. Can mastercam do this? Thx

You can dynamically measure the diameter of the holes to check the minor diameter, but unless he has created a STEP neutral MBD file that is readable by a MBD importer then not going to happen.

14 minutes ago, gcode said:

I believe the FBD (feature based drilling) module can do this automatically

I'll preface this by saying I could be wrong...

But IIRC, you need to have SW's installed for the databased to be queried for that information

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, JParis said:

I'll preface this by saying I could be wrong...

But IIRC, you need to have SW's installed for the databased to be queried for that information

I could also be wrong but I believe feature based drilling can query a dumb model and present you with a list of holes

and you can assign tools and operations to the various holes in the list

What you stated for SW models does work, but the homes MUST be created with the SolidWorks hole wizard  when you build

the solid model.

Holes created by extrude contain no data for Mastercam to extract

4 minutes ago, gcode said:

I could also be wrong but I believe feature based drilling can query a dumb model and present you with a list of holes

and you can assign tools and operations to the various holes in the list

Yes, FBD will do that....sometimes it can be tough though to discern what the hole is supposed to be, because you can't be sure if it's a tapped minor dia or a thru hole, of some kind of tight toleranced reamed hole...

As long as CAD data is being translated, a print of some sort, heck, even a hole table will be required most likely