Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tool and Holder in Operation Defaults

Steelab

I've set my Operation Defaults and they post the way I want but the Tool, Holder, and Tool Projection that I've assigned in the Operation Defaults don't come through automatically. Is there a way to make this work?

To clarify: most of what I do is just a 2d contour toolpath using the same tool, holder, and material. I have it set so all I have to do is click the geometry and hit enter and post the code, but I want to see the correct tool, holder and projection without picking the tool assembly each time. I laterally click a button on my mouse set as a macro for contour and click the chain and hit enter and I'm done but the damn tool changes to a 1in overall length tool that doesn't exist in my default library and it automatically assigns the "default" tool holder which as far as I can tell can't be changed. 

4 minutes ago, Steelab said:

I've set my Operation Defaults and they post the way I want but the Tool, Holder, and Tool Projection that I've assigned in the Operation Defaults don't come through automatically. Is there a way to make this work?

To clarify: most of what I do is just a 2d contour toolpath using the same tool, holder, and material. I have it set so all I have to do is click the geometry and hit enter and post the code, but I want to see the correct tool, holder and projection without picking the tool assembly each time. I laterally click a button on my mouse set as a macro for contour and click the chain and hit enter and I'm done but the damn tool changes to a 1in overall length tool that doesn't exist in my default library and it automatically assigns the "default" tool holder which as far as I can tell can't be changed. 

You created a contour using the operations manager?

You will need to assign a tool to  the operation.

1 minute ago, Thee Byte™ said:

You created a contour using the operations manager?

You will need to assign a tool to  the operation.

I've gone into my operation defaults and edited the default parameters of the 2d contour toolpath so all of the settings are the way I usually need them(tool #, tool diameter, feed and speed, cut parameters, breakthrough, linking parameters, arc filter, planes) and they all post out ok but the tool, tool holder, and tool projection all change from what I have set in the operation defaults so any simulation is not accurate. 

I am not sure how you would be able to have a tool automatically assigned to an operation, or if there is a way to do that I do not know how but as far as I am aware of there is not a way to have a tool automatically assigned to an operation. Or in your case it would be a Tool Assembly since you are looking for the holder to come in as well at the start of the operation. 

Importing the toolpath would be the easiest choice, and you could make that operation file the default operation file to import from. here is a video on importing toolptaths into mastercam 

3 minutes ago, Thee Byte™ said:

Maybe import the operation with the tool?

a nethook or even vbscript would also work here.

really any additional steps like this would be slower than just going in and picking the tool assembly that I want to have set as default.

To complete the whole process I click a macro button on my g600 mouse, click the chain, hit enter, then click the green check mark.

To complete the whole process if I want the tool assembly to be correct I click a macro button on my g600 mouse, click the chain, hit enter, click tool, click select library tool, click on the tool assembly, hit enter, then click the green check mark.

It's half the clicks every time if I don't pick the tool assembly and I'm just trying to figure out if there's a way to make the operation defaults save with a tool assembly...

10 minutes ago, Steelab said:

really any additional steps like this would be slower than just going in and picking the tool assembly that I want to have set as default.

To complete the whole process I click a macro button on my g600 mouse, click the chain, hit enter, then click the green check mark.

To complete the whole process if I want the tool assembly to be correct I click a macro button on my g600 mouse, click the chain, hit enter, click tool, click select library tool, click on the tool assembly, hit enter, then click the green check mark.

It's half the clicks every time if I don't pick the tool assembly and I'm just trying to figure out if there's a way to make the operation defaults save with a tool assembly...

Could modify your macro to include importing a saved operation, that has all of your correct speeds, feeds etc.?

12 minutes ago, Steelab said:

if there's a way to make the operation defaults save with a tool assembly...

All of my operations, that I export, include the tool assys.

13 minutes ago, JoshC said:

I am not sure how you would be able to have a tool automatically assigned to an operation, or if there is a way to do that I do not know how but as far as I am aware of there is not a way to have a tool automatically assigned to an operation. Or in your case it would be a Tool Assembly since you are looking for the holder to come in as well at the start of the operation. 

Importing the toolpath would be the easiest choice, and you could make that operation file the default operation file to import from. here is a video on importing toolptaths into mastercam 

Importing requires Right click>Import>Click contour>add>ok>cancel>geometry>add>click chain>enter>refresh

Still faster to just do it the way I have it set up and pick the tool assembly.

I'm trying to save time when I have lots of this stuff to get done fast. I have macros set up so I don't need to move the mouse around to click things, I press a macro

button on my mouse, click the chain, hit enter and click the green check then hit another macro on my mouse to post the code and I'm done. Once I open the file and position the geometry where I want it it's 5 clicks to have a posted code or 9 if I want to update the tool assembly.

13 hours ago, Steelab said:

Still faster to just do it the way I have it set up and pick the tool assembly.

What about a program template with a contour op and your tool.

Import/ merge new geometry, Open the geometry box and select the new geometry.  

You could use your levels to help organize if you have "families" of parts which could reside in the same program..