Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

changing colors of something

TERRYH

We're using MC2019 if I have my part active and have created lines or arcs and want to change their color it takes forever depending on the part size, but if I have the part off and try to change colors of the lines/arcs it's almost as fast as you can click. Any ideas on how to speed this up ? Because if the part is really big its just as slow to turn it of change colors then turn it back on . 

Just now, TERRYH said:

We're using MC2019 if I have my part active and have created lines or arcs and want to change their color it takes forever depending on the part size, but if I have the part off and try to change colors of the lines/arcs it's almost as fast as you can click. Any ideas on how to speed this up ? Because if the part is really big its just as slow to turn it of change colors then turn it back on . 

Beyond a better computer...not really....sight unseen some models can be complex and not really be large...number of faces can really make a model complex

If a part is coming in with wireframe and solid I usually select all wireframe using the quick mask and delete it all because there is so much wireframe that is useless and just slows things down.

I'll usually create a level and viewsheet for solids and one(or more) for wireframe so I can toggle quickly. I'll also usually change wireframe color as I create different wireframe for different operations. I rarely use curve on ALL for an entire model anymore because it makes so much wireframe geom that I won't end up using and with big parts it can slow things down to the point that it's faster to use curve on ONE edge and select what I'll use or curve on ALL and only select one face. 

Quick masks are great for selecting wireframe as shown above. I've also used Invert selection for similar situations where I want to select most of the entities, just pick what you DONT want selected and click Invert selection to get everything that was not selected.

Screenshot_20210524-081015_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

THis is a good topic for Mastercam organization. Ron demonstrated some good tips when he did his CAMinstructor tutorial.

Lately I have been making a view sheet for each view/operation for rapid toggling. For things like dovetail prep (if I have one) I will create a whole level only for dovetail geometry. Another level for the main solid. Another level for the fixture. Another level for extra drive geometry. Another level for any surfaces, or multiple surface levels depending on complexity. Another level for even more wireframe geo. This is all for one op. If the part has multiple mchine groups then this gets very important to keep track of everything.

I generally will make everything a different color. Reason being, the quick mask function is alot faster than hand selecting entities. I make it a point at the start of each programming to set the part up this way, so that the foundation is there. I have gotten used to using the quick mask after years of not using it, and I could never go back to not using it.

Lots of ways to skin a cat, but thats just my way.

• Like 1