Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lathe "No areas of remaining stock error"

Shiva.aero

Hello everyone! I am getting this "No areas of remaining stock error" when I try to remove stock from a big face groove using Roughing operation with face groove/ od groove with horizontal holder

There is a similar post in this forum but there is no clear solution.

"https://www.emastercam.com/forums/topic/75233-simple-lathe-toolpaths-with-stock-update-not-recognized/"

After going through most of the Lathe stock problem posts , I ensured the following:

1. Front face of my part and chain is exactly at zero and is not extending into +x axis.

2. Face stock is defined as Margin

3. Used stock recognition

4. Redefined the stock setup and regenerated all the programs.

Still no avail! I end up facing the same problem!  

What cause this error? Also, can somebody please explain the use of "Adjust stock" option in Lathe roughing and how to use it?

Thank you!!

Thank you.

Sorry I couldn't share the file.

I think the problem is due to the use of wrong operation! I tried to rough a large face groove using Roughing operation.

But when I tried Plunge turn operation, I got the toolpath like I expected without any problem.

Thank you!

The lathe grooving toolpath is a better way to machine a face groove.

You can define the groove with a chain or 2 points, rough and finish in a single op or 

rough and finish in 2 ops

An important factor in face grooving is that face grooving tools must start the initial plunge

within a certain diametral range.

Otherwise the back of the anvil will drag, destroying the tool and damaging the part

The grooving toolpath can accommodate this

face groove.jpg

• Like 1
On 7/18/2021 at 8:08 PM, gcode said:

The lathe grooving toolpath is a better way to machine a face groove.

You can define the groove with a chain or 2 points, rough and finish in a single op or 

rough and finish in 2 ops

An important factor in face grooving is that face grooving tools must start the initial plunge

within a certain diametral range.

Otherwise the back of the anvil will drag, destroying the tool and damaging the part

The grooving toolpath can accommodate this

face groove.jpg

Thank you gcode! Is it not Plunge turning better for larger size grooves? I use groove operation only when the groove is narrow.