Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Optirough toolpath crashes my whole computer...

jeremy7440

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could take a look at this file and tell me why it crashes my whole PC when I try to rough out the surfaces with an optirough tool path?  This is a guitar neck and I'm trying to rough out the rounded surfaces on the back of the neck and up the back face of the headstock.  The 5 extruded rectangles are tabs I'm using to hold the part in the blank.  The stock model is accurate to the actual blank this will be machined out of.  I'm trying to use a 1/2" square endmill for this tool path.  There is currently no tool path in the attached file because it crashes every time I try to run it. I'm not sure what other info to post here, so holler if you have questions.

Neck rev 3 surfaces.ZIP

Double check that the steep and shallow depths are in the actual machining zone.

I have had problems with multiple solids intersecting each other like separate tabs. You can make a rough model and join them or make a surface from the top of the pads. I haven't looked at your file so I'm not sure if it will work in your case

3 hours ago, jeremy7440 said:

Bob, you were right on the money!  That is exactly what was happening.  I hadn't had the problem before because most of my tool paths are pretty simple.

Buy one or two of these then if you are using a Laptop. I have been using this on my Dell 7760 for about 3 month now and wow what a difference. When money get better I will be buying another one.

KLIM Laptop Vacuum

1 minute ago, crazy^millman said:

Buy one or two of these then if you are using a Laptop. I have been using this on my Dell 7760 for about 3 month now and wow what a difference. When money get better I will be buying another one.

KLIM Laptop Vacuum

This was actually on a desktop.  The chip was overclocked and there was some issue with the voltage level settings.  Backing off of the overclock fixed it right up.

28 minutes ago, jeremy7440 said:

This was actually on a desktop.  The chip was overclocked and there was some issue with the voltage level settings.  Backing off of the overclock fixed it right up.

Yeah if you overclock your CPU then Extreme cooling has to happen. Might think about using an Water Cooler that mounts externally if you want to go back to the Overclocked speed. Over Clocking has good benefits for reducing time calculations when crunching HST Toolpaths.

• Like 1

I used to have those issues when I overclocked my computers, which are all water cooled.  Unless you get the settings just right it can make the computer unstable.  I value stability over everything so I backed it off.  I use the extra calculation time to get a cup of coffee.  It can be a nice, forced break.

• Like 4