Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

custom tool library

Rob_QM

I have been slowly building a custom tool library. I started with the mill_inch library as a base then deleted a number of tools and started adding tools as needed. Is their a way to auto renumber the tools in the library to fill in the gaps I created by deleting tools? 

Also should mention I am using 2023

10 hours ago, Rob_QM said:

I have been slowly building a custom tool library. I started with the mill_inch library as a base then deleted a number of tools and started adding tools as needed. Is their a way to auto renumber the tools in the library to fill in the gaps I created by deleting tools? 

Also should mention I am using 2023

Sorry there is not an easy way. You would need to import them into one file and use them in all operations to use that process that allows it. Inside of the Stand alone or internal Tool Manager neither have this ability. Might could use a SQL Express process, but I would have to spend a few days figuring that method out.

1 hour ago, crazy^millman said:

Sorry there is not an easy way. You would need to import them into one file and use them in all operations to use that process that allows it. Inside of the Stand alone or internal Tool Manager neither have this ability. Might could use a SQL Express process, but I would have to spend a few days figuring that method out.

Thank you for the info.

I'm curious as to why the tool numbers in the librarymatter, unless you're doing a couple of pretty specific things...

You can set it up so that tools load sequentially....this negates needing to number them in a library..

Now, if you're setting up standardized carousel tooling, that's a different thing and would require saved tools numbers...in this case, I will make an empty Mastercam file with those tools in it...I use that as a "seed" file and import any parts into it, then do a "Save As"

I have a library that I draw on that has 1,000+ tools...as we use Mazak Tool life, they are saved with T#'s such as 11010500 for a .500 F-endmill...in those case I do not use the add sequential option

• Like 1
On 6/9/2022 at 9:43 AM, JParis said:

I'm curious as to why the tool numbers in the librarymatter, unless you're doing a couple of pretty specific things...

You can set it up so that tools load sequentially....this negates needing to number them in a library..

Now, if you're setting up standardized carousel tooling, that's a different thing and would require saved tools numbers...in this case, I will make an empty Mastercam file with those tools in it...I use that as a "seed" file and import any parts into it, then do a "Save As"

I have a library that I draw on that has 1,000+ tools...as we use Mazak Tool life, they are saved with T#'s such as 11010500 for a .500 F-endmill...in those case I do not use the add sequential option

honestly I don't think they really do. for me it is a combination of my own OCD and also grouping tools together and being able to locate then quickly, for example  knowing my facemills start at tool 100 and my inch endmills start at tool 150 while my metric endmill start at tool 170 etc.  I am still very new to mastercam and am slowly learning how to customize it to my own workflow. 

57 minutes ago, RaiderX said:

when choosing a tool from your library.

Tool list filter is your friend in this situation.

I wish there was a "quick search" textbox that would immediately filter tools as I type. Using the tool filter is a lot of clickety-click (now I typically just order the tools by diameter and choose the one, which is faster that going through the filter options)

• Like 2