Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Incremental Retract 2d Toolpath 2022

dolphin1

Because it depends on your settings and how you are setting them. Then there is the if you don't set this certain that a certain way you get this other behavior that can do this thing that well if you don't think about the other that that is this for that you are really stuck trying to figure out why that was this thing when in all reality that other thing was really the thing that was controlling the whole process. Without something to follow you with what I just typed makes about as much sense.

• Haha 3

I believe that in this particular case it is the "depth cut" parameters that are causing the issue.

Because the depth cuts are set to "depth cut order" -> "by depth" every time the tool retracts it is changing to a new chain. Every time the tool changes chains it is going to retract to the clearance plane regardless of what the retract plane is set to.

Here is a couple solutions: 

1. set "depth cut" -> "depth cut order" -> "by contour" which will then complete all depth cuts on the first chain before moving on. In this case that is probably not ideal considering you're facing the part.

2. copy and paste the wireframe geometry used for the chains to all the depths you need. Then change your "top of stock" and "depth" planes to 0.0 and "incremental". This is a little more work upfront but if you really want to eliminate all the retracts, I think this may be your best option.

3. using a 2D facing toolpath instead of a 2D contour toolpath. Because the facing toolpath just takes a single chain, it doesn't retract to the clearance plane every time it changes direction.

I've attached a copy of your file with these 3 solutions in a separate toolpath group. I'm sure there's a ton of different ways to program the motion you're looking for. These 3 are just the first few that came to mind. Whenever I'm working with depth cut and/or multi pass, I frequently run into little issues like this that require a slight work around.

1281052.mcam

• Like 2
19 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

Because it depends on your settings and how you are setting them. Then there is the if you don't set this certain that a certain way you get this other behavior that can do this thing that well if you don't think about the other that that is this for that you are really stuck trying to figure out why that was this thing when in all reality that other thing was really the thing that was controlling the whole process. Without something to follow you with what I just typed makes about as much sense.

Holy crap I think I need more coffee definitely...this made total sense.

I'm going back to bed.

• Haha 3