Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

data transfer between 2 fadal vmc's

WMBOB

I am trying to figure out how to transfer a program from one fadal to another by linking them together with RS-232 cable. It seems like they should be able to communicate between each other, but I can't seem to figure it out. curse.gif I have tried different baud rates and still nothing. I would greatly appreciate if someone could tell me how or if I have just went completely crazy and it is not possible. Thanks in advance for the assistance. cheers.gif

I would have to agree with Jay on this I think the cable set-up does not allow the X-modem to read correctly between to machine you might could but I think a different cable would be needed.

No then I think about no way there is no start protocall on the machine to tell it to start the DNC and that is where a computer would have to be the way to do it.

We are in the middle of our annual spring (rearrange the whole shop) move. As of right now we have a Fadal 4020 and 6030 that are separated from the rest of our machines and our computer station. The 6030 doesn't have a disk drive which is my whole problem.

After hearing what you guys have had to say, I just realized that we can use a laptop to get the program to the machine. (right?). Now my next problem is trying to find a laptop around this place on a saturday. Thanks for your replies.

You can preset the protocal on the fadals without sending it to machine. (I did not know you could send the settings to fadals when I first started messing with them)

I think it can be done.

If you match the settings on both machines.

use 2 to 2 3 to 3 7 to 7 wire with 4 and 5 jumpered on both ends.

Give it a try. If it dont alarm or get code swap pins 2 and 3 on one end of cable.

Let us know how it works out.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Hopefully this is just a short term problem for us. What we ended up doing was just printing out the program we needed and manually(I hate that word)punching in the program. It was about 12 pages long but it was a good learning exercise for the lucky guy who did it.

I was going to put the program on disk, load it in the 4020 then try to transfer from the 4020 to the 6030. But that is not an option. Our 6030 doesn't have disk drive and that is the machine I need to run this particular job in.

So here is how things are going. We also have a Fadal 15. Today, that machine went down. That particular machine needs to run 24/7. So we had to steal parts off of the 6030 to keep the 15 going. Life is good. Thanks to all

CadCam, both of our machines, the 4020 and the 6030 are separated from our computer station. We are in the middle of a move. I am not able to send programs to these machines other than using a floppy. The 6030 doesn't have a floppy drive.