Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Toolpath Transform

Hi everyone, I took a fixture with a part on it and wanted to expand the fixture and make more parts without messing with picking new geometry and without a different setup for each part. When I use toolpath transform, and add the center distance between the parts it runs verify fine but only posts the first x and Y values and wants to recut the same part four times. Any help would be great. I have a simple sample for a visual of what I want to do.

2023_10_26_00_45_03_Transform_Operation_Parameters.jpg

2023_10_26_00_45_39_Transform_Operation.jpg

PART COPIED.jpg

10 hours ago, JParis said:

Try checking Coordinate instead of Tool Plane, that will get you 4 positions

10 hours ago, JParis said:

Try checking Coordinate instead of Tool Plane, that will get you 4 positions

That worked perfect. thank you very much.

1 hour ago, #Rekd™ said:

@Aaron Eberhard When would you include the "origin" and when wouldn't you? 

Always learning from this forum, awesome!!!

I'm not always great at knowing the how's or why's on things, I just know what I can make work...

but on a tombstone transform rotate, I have to include the origin or the transform won't work correctly.

TRANSFORM.png

On 11/2/2023 at 9:25 AM, #Rekd™ said:

Sorry Rekd! I just saw this.

I'm not really sure, to be honest.. I never use it.  I just know that I've been bitten by it.

I'm assuming it exists so you can do all sorts of fancy tricks with the post about repositioning and rerunning  code or something, but I've never had a need for it.   Maybe someone else knows the use case?

• Thanks 1
On 11/2/2023 at 9:25 AM, #Rekd™ said:

If you want the operator to be able to set a new WCS origin then you need to include the origin. Ex. if you have 3 parts in 3 different vises you don't want to have to setup the vises and stops perfectly to one another (a single pickup for all 3 parts) so including the origin in the transform allows the machinist to set each vise separately (G54, G55, G56).

OP wanted to cut the same pocket 4 times on the same part. You don't need a new pickup for every pocket so you don't want to transform your origin in that case.

IMHO transform is super powerful and super lacking at the same time. 

On 11/2/2023 at 11:04 AM, #Rekd™ said:

It might be a good idea to have a thread on the Industrial Forum pinned to the top on Transform Toolpath.

Some toolpaths (axis substitution) don't work with Rotate so you need to use Translate - Coordinate - Delta

+1 to this idea. I use translate somewhat frequently but not frequently enough to learn all the ins and outs. There's so many options and different combinations of buttons that I tend to end up using the trial and error method until I get the output I want.

On 11/3/2023 at 9:33 AM, Aaron Eberhard said:

I'm assuming it exists so you can do all sorts of fancy tricks with the post about repositioning and rerunning  code or something, but I've never had a need for it.   Maybe someone else knows the use case?

I use it when programming multiple parts around a tombstone on 5axis, paired with dynamic work offsets (only one offset, center + top of tombstone) and multiple planes per part. Maybe this is the case?

here is with/without "include origin" checked. program origin is the black X

with.png

WITHOUT.png

• Like 1