Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Avoidance Geometry Bug

TFarrell9

Among the Stock Model bug, another one I run into nearly daily (was reminded of it when it just happened again) is with Avoidance Geometry, in both 2023 and 2024 versions. Nearly every time I select the desired geometry when creating the toolpath, it reads far more entities than truly selected and will give an STL error when trying to generate the toolpath. The fix is to simply save, re-open the file, and generate the toolpath. Geometry isn't needed to be re-selected or anything. 

I have to assume this is common with other users as well?

Edit: Aaron mentioned the stock model bug is related to importing solids, maybe these bugs are one in the same?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TFarrell9 said:

Among the Stock Model bug, another one I run into nearly daily (was reminded of it when it just happened again) is with Avoidance Geometry, in both 2023 and 2024 versions. Nearly every time I select the desired geometry when creating the toolpath, it reads far more entities than truly selected and will give an STL error when trying to generate the toolpath. The fix is to simply save, re-open the file, and generate the toolpath. Geometry isn't needed to be re-selected or anything. 

I have to assume this is common with other users as well?

Edit: Aaron mentioned the stock model bug is related to importing solids, maybe these bugs are one in the same?

Good call, I've had the same thing but didn't put it together!  Time for a test!

Yeeeeuppp. . I'm not a matham.. mathimat... . Mathin' Guy, but I don't think this looks like 245 faces selected:

image.thumb.png.2da1860a56e9e0fe899dabbecaa3da01.png

This was open whatever step I had laying around, dynamic transform, dynamic transform, select faces.

Great thinking TFarrell!

---------

Further Edit:  If you add it as the Machining group, it'll clean itself up when you green check out.  If you add it as the Avoidance, it'll stay broken until you save the file.  

• Haha 1
55 minutes ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

Good call, I've had the same thing but didn't put it together!  Time for a test!

Yeeeeuppp. . I'm not a matham.. mathimat... . Mathin' Guy, but I don't think this looks like 245 faces selected:

image.thumb.png.2da1860a56e9e0fe899dabbecaa3da01.png

This was open whatever step I had laying around, dynamic transform, dynamic transform, select faces.

Great thinking TFarrell!

---------

Further Edit:  If you add it as the Machining group, it'll clean itself up when you green check out.  If you add it as the Avoidance, it'll stay broken until you save the file.  

Interesting that it will clean itself up when selected as machining geo. 

Here's to hoping 2025 corrects this annoying bug.

15 hours ago, TFarrell9 said:

Interesting that it will clean itself up when selected as machining geo. 

Here's to hoping 2025 corrects this annoying bug.

Yeah, I ran it up the flagpole yesterday, I know that the Product Owner in charge of that area is acutely aware of it, and it's piled on top of the previous defect which gives it a decent bit of gravitas.   Great thinking on putting the two together!

1 hour ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

Yeah, I ran it up the flagpole yesterday, I know that the Product Owner in charge of that area is acutely aware of it, and it's piled on top of the previous defect which gives it a decent bit of gravitas.   Great thinking on putting the two together!

Thanks...I'd say it was a team effort with you though.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

This bug has been around for many versions I Reported this one back in 2015 for the 2017 version during BETA. Maybe now after 8 years it might finally get squashed.

Yeah, I reported this back when I was on the inside, too, but I couldn't figure out the steps to reproduce it from scratch.   That's the big difference now, I think.  I dunno, we'll see :)