Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tool Number output

Metals and materials

Very stupid question...but can't figure out.....

I have Multiple operation with the same tool number. Operation 2, 3, & 4 uses Tool 101. At the start of operation, NC output has tool 101. At the start of operation 3 and 4, no output. My machinists want to search the code by tool number. What is the setting in mastercam to toggle so that the NC will output all the tool numbers for all operation even tho it uses the same tool? THank you in advance .

30 minutes ago, ikertx0 said:

image.png.78a968da30787ffb8fde292d1a672e0f.png

The force tool change will then send the machine to home position and break the operations.

If OP is fine with Tool returning home after each operation than that is certainly viable.

31 minutes ago, Metals and materials said:

@AHarrison1 okay, I think the comment is outputting. But no the tool number

Put the tool # in the comment

• Thanks 1

So, one thing to note is if you can't use "force tool change" for whatever reason, but you wanted to modify your post output so that it's still calling Txx m6, some machines will interpret that as a "send tool home."   Basically, between each toolpath it'll take a trip to the tool change position then immediately jump back into action... It's like "force tool change" with none of the benefits of being able to easily resume mid-program (unless your control has a nice resume function that scans for and implements all of your conditions).    If you just called out a Txxx without the M6, you might cancel a tool pre-stage which would be inefficient for the next tool change.  I'm not sure what happens in that case. 

As above, I'd recommend doing it as a comment.   You can have the post automatically put it in, though.  I'm not a post expert by any means, but if you have a default mp post, I think you can just modify it like this:

image.png.9d4546a48e86c54c113e413ebca65665.png

(If it's blurry, I found the Operation Comment line, and added a "-"*t$, before the close parenthesis).  That gives me this output:

image.thumb.png.ea8df09ada1f274d138a59546b07648a.pngimage.png.3ece879e855366c34ae39268e6b99c77.png

• Like 1

You can enable the "Force Toolchange Switch", but then use "Canned Text" to enable Block Delete - Before the Toolchange, and then disable Block Delete - After the Toolchange.

This gives you the ability to restart at any of those Operation Start sequences, while also allowing you to fully skip over the Tool Change and Retract motions, using the Block Delete function on the control.

• Like 3

@Aaron Eberhard @Colin Gilchrist Wow! okay, I will try both of these. 

Something I noticed with Force Tool Change, is that if I enable that for Swarf Milling, I am getting some wierd output. THe machine was doin some random movements. 

16 hours ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

between each toolpath it'll take a trip to the tool change position then immediately jump back into action.

and go to zero. Wierd thing is I tried that for drilling op. It was 5 axis drilling operation but no issues there. Like it would work perfectly normal. Normal as in go to home, come back to next position and start drilling next holes. Or may be it's not random at all. It is predefined to go to zero. 

Here's what I mean. The first pic is out put of swarf milling without force tool change. second is with tool change. THis may be a post issue idk but G90 there is really bad. Our zero was set beneath beneath the part, fortunately our machinist is very good with going slow and with precautions.

1.PNG

2.PNG

23 hours ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

As above, I'd recommend doing it as a comment.   You can have the post automatically put it in, though.  I'm not a post expert by any means, but if you have a default mp post, I think you can just modify it like this:

image.png.9d4546a48e86c54c113e413ebca65665.png

(If it's blurry, I found the Operation Comment line, and added a "-"*t$, before the close parenthesis).  That gives me this output:

this is an awesome little post mod. 👍