Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Suitable Operation & Tool for Floor at 60 Deg angle

Hi guys, 

Wanted to ask about the suitable operation & tool for the part highlighted in the screenshot below.

I've tried using Waterline, Hybrid and Raster. So far the raster gave me the best result but was wondering if there was a better operation suited for this.

image.thumb.png.e36e9597f427095a2c5a17e2425c27e6.png

So the Stock below is the Stock Model after all the operation, I used Bullmill 12.0 Radius 0.5 in a Raster operation thinking it would get me the 0.5 fillet on the Workpiece floor.  

image.png.39905760cb0dacd998a3e7b01437be8b.png

Need this part to be 0.5 fillet.

image.png.e2e5e243ce5aafc9cc3b427a39f709f3.png

I've tried hybrid and waterline but some part didn't get machine

image.thumb.jpeg.e90c7c6fcf224e49e11237fb2cdeb17b.jpeg

When i used Hybrid, i couldn't get it to machine the part circled in green, tried to use Pencil afterward but didn't manage to set it to machine that part

image.thumb.jpeg.19f34450530c0c6950ecd49c2b4ec965.jpeg

and when i used waterline, i can't seem to get the upper part of this area to be machined smoothly. 

In addition to that,

image.png.37fe7a872ce7fd0424600b0814bdd21a.png

Is there a way to reduce this pattern on the Workpiece? Would using Smoothing under the Arc Filter tab result in a smoother surface?

Hope you guys could share with me some suggestions on type of operation and suitable tool for this.

I'm using Mastercam 2024 and only had experience in CNC programming using heidenhain and CATIA in college, so please explain if you're referencing from previous Mastercam version. (Have been using Mastercam for around 5 months now)

image.png

image.png

12 hours ago, Izzat said:

So the Stock below is the Stock Model after all the operation, I used Bullmill 12.0 Radius 0.5 in a Raster operation thinking it would get me the 0.5 fillet on the Workpiece floor.  

Need this part to be 0.5 fillet.

If you're in a 3 axis machine, using a tool 12.0dia w/ .5rad, the area you refer to as "this part" is impossible to machine with a .5rad as you show. You either need a 1.0dia ball mill or a 4th axis. Or as @rgrin suggested, another op.

Is there a way to reduce this pattern on the Workpiece? Would using Smoothing under the Arc Filter tab result in a smoother surface?

I assume the "pattern" you're referring to is the vertical lines you see along the radius. I don't know for sure without looking at your file, but those probably won't show up on your part. If that toolpath motion outputs as a G02 or G03 move, it will be a smooth radius on the part. The vertical lines show up because of how verification models are generated / saved in MC.

Any chance you can share the file? Or even a sample file? You'll get a lot more and better feedback if we can all play with the same file.

Welcome to the wide world of dumb engineers. What does that area do with regards to form, fit and function? If it is a must and will effect the form, fit and function then trying to make a multi axis part in a 3 axis setup is a recipe for failure every day of the week. Needing 25xD tool to machine that area is going to be a nightmare on a 3 Axis machine.

Here is a tool that would allow you to cut that part, but the finish and quality of the part will be greatly reduced along with the exponential amount of run time needed to machine it.

image.jpeg.bde3d6b7ca42d02d29716aa37e2cd116.jpeg

.04" (.508mm) x 25D  

• Like 2

If the corner radius is non negotiable finish the wall to abobe the radius, then go in with the tool that Ron suggested, go a bit wider than the radius of the your floor finishing tool.  Then for the floor use a bull or flat endmill and use Flowline. parallel to the walls.

On 12/29/2023 at 6:18 PM, JParis said:

Pencil, Flowline, Blend, Projected, 3D Swept are just some that will work

I've tried them, some give better result for the angle but doesn't give good finish for other parts of the WP but thanks anyway

On 12/29/2023 at 8:17 PM, rgrin said:

Remove the stock on the bottom and bolt it to an angle plate. Then use a key seat cutter with necessary corner rads

That seems to be the best option now to get the fillet on the floor

On 12/29/2023 at 11:21 PM, Jake L said:

If you're in a 3 axis machine, using a tool 12.0dia w/ .5rad, the area you refer to as "this part" is impossible to machine with a .5rad as you show. You either need a 1.0dia ball mill or a 4th axis. Or as @rgrin suggested, another op.

I assume the "pattern" you're referring to is the vertical lines you see along the radius. I don't know for sure without looking at your file, but those probably won't show up on your part. If that toolpath motion outputs as a G02 or G03 move, it will be a smooth radius on the part. The vertical lines show up because of how verification models are generated / saved in MC.

Any chance you can share the file? Or even a sample file? You'll get a lot more and better feedback if we can all play with the same file.

Well, I didn't know this WP needed a multiaxis machine but will make do for now, probably will go w rgrin suggestion since my company doesn't have a multi-axis machine. Sadly i'm not able to share any 3D file w you for this part (I've checked w my seniors).

On 12/29/2023 at 11:47 PM, crazy^millman said:

Welcome to the wide world of dumb engineers. What does that area do with regards to form, fit and function? If it is a must and will effect the form, fit and function then trying to make a multi axis part in a 3 axis setup is a recipe for failure every day of the week. Needing 25xD tool to machine that area is going to be a nightmare on a 3 Axis machine.

Here is a tool that would allow you to cut that part, but the finish and quality of the part will be greatly reduced along with the exponential amount of run time needed to machine it.

image.jpeg.bde3d6b7ca42d02d29716aa37e2cd116.jpeg

.04" (.508mm) x 25D  

OK meng

On 1/2/2024 at 11:51 PM, AMCNitro said:

If the corner radius is non negotiable finish the wall to abobe the radius, then go in with the tool that Ron suggested, go a bit wider than the radius of the your floor finishing tool.  Then for the floor use a bull or flat endmill and use Flowline. parallel to the walls.

Well, I checked w the design team and they said it should be ok if it was a bigger radius for assembly but this particular client is fussy about things so my seniors suggested me to stick the the 0.5 corner radius.

Thanks for the advice peeps