Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Multiple Milling Tool Holders

Jim Varco

I am reviewing how the Varco Reports deals with reporting for cases where multiple holders are used for a milling tool. An example might be the holder in the spindle, then an ER32 collet chuck, a ER8 collet chuck, and finally the tool. The report application supports this, with separate fields for each holder, including the length.

My question is should the holder in the spindle be considered the first (primary) holder, or the one that holds the tool?

Agreed.  Every time I've given someone a list of an assembly, I always give it to them in that order.  For example, if I were building out an extended ER collet setup, I would list it in this order:

Cat40 ER-32 xxx

ø7/8" ER-32 Collet

ø7/8" 8" Long ER-16 Extension

1/16" ER-16 Collet

• Like 1

Yep, the "Taper" is the primary attachment point to the machine, hence it is the Primary Holder. Everything between the primary holder and the tool is just another adapter/attachment.

This would also apply for a "stackup", such as the Capto system, where you can mount additional extensions/adapters between the primary holder and the tool component.