Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Managing NC Files

JB7280

What do you guys use for managing NC Files?  We have about 40 machines.  A good number of our programs will run on an OKK VMC one day, and maybe a Matsuura HMC the next time, so some programs have multiple versions for different machines.  

We want to be able to store a fresh version of the program, and be able to distribute it to the machines when necessary.  We use Predator for DNC communication to the machines.   

I am currently working to Cimco DNC and Cimco NC Base in this shop...

Currently, the "system" is all manual...the overhead for it is a time consuming thing....so I am working to towards changing that through the software mentioned above

• Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, JParis said:

I am currently working to Cimco DNC and Cimco NC Base in this shop...

Currently, the "system" is all manual...the overhead for it is a time consuming thing....so I am working to towards changing that through the software mentioned above

Cimco NC Base was one of the options I saw.   Do you like what you see of the software so far?    I know Predator offers Predator PDM, but truth be told, I've never been thrilled with any of predator's software.    

30 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

Do you like what you see of the software so far? 

In a previous life I was very involved in that so I do have that knowledge of the software...it is that experience that leads me in that direction...I feel as though there is really nothing else I need to check out for solutions

• Thanks 1

We have a similar situation. Programs can be run on multiple machines, vertical, horizontal or even on the 5ax, and for VMC we have 3 different types of controls that need different posts/settings.

In a particular job # folder, there is an NC folder that has all the current issue posted NC files, labelled by OP# and machine type. I make a copy of those in the relevant machine's folder on the network, and the operators DNC those files from the server according to the PCD and machine availablity. This keeps them out of my yard, so I have unmolested copies to refer back to and dates that they were originally created - "no boss, I did not program that facemill to G00 Z-30.0, see?"

It's a fallible system, and I do forget to post for a certain type of machine (always the one they need), or simply forget to move the file into the server. My position is no matter what system you choose, the onus is on the programmer to move a correctly labelled, proven version of a posted NC file into a location that the machines can 'see'. File management is part of my responsibilities around here, and It keeps everything tidy.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, SuperHoneyBadger said:

In a particular job # folder, there is an NC folder that has all the current issue posted NC files, labelled by OP# and machine type. I make a copy of those in the relevant machine's folder on the network, and the operators DNC those files from the server according to the PCD and machine availablity. This keeps them out of my yard, so I have unmolested copies to refer back to and dates that they were originally created - "no boss, I did not program that facemill to G00 Z-30.0, see?"

I like this idea,.. nothing irks me more than opening up one of my programs and seeing that things weren't how I left them haha. If I'm currently working on a project or optimizing a program I'm running on a  machine, I'll save the file while I'm on a random wireframe level, or zoomed into a feature, whatever's clever. Then once I feel like I have the program "polished", I'll go to op10 setup viewsheet and save it from there so the thumbnail will be just how I like it 😆 (while my mild OCD can be annoying I think it lends itself to helping me be a good machinist/programmer)

• Like 1