Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Building Tool Holders in 2024

JB7280

I just upgraded to MC2024 and seem to be having issues building tools and toolholders from step files.  I'm doing it exactly the way I always have.  Orienting them so that the origin is at the tip of the tool, with Z facing into the spindle, and every time I get this message.  What am I doing wrong? 

holder.png.e96b70ede94a3e31ee29ce24ca24764f.png

I absolutely hate that error message, having spent hours and hours looking for "gaps" and whatever with custom tools. This error message needs to be more precise. Step files have however always worked fine in 2023 for me. If this is broken in 2024, then it is a showstopper

18 minutes ago, SlaveCam said:

I absolutely hate that error message, having spent hours and hours looking for "gaps" and whatever with custom tools. This error message needs to be more precise. Step files have however always worked fine in 2023 for me. If this is broken in 2024, then it is a showstopper

I've downloaded multiple tools and holders today.  From Pioneer, schunk, lyndex, and made a few tools myself, and I can't get any of them to work. 

These two files came in OK for me in 2024

For the tool holder I translated it so that the gage line of the holder was at the orign ( Translate to Origin)

then used Solids/ Trim tp Plane ( Top) to remove the taper 

How are you doing this

I use the Mill Assembly Designer in the Tool Manager

• Like 2
1 minute ago, gcode said:

These two files came in OK for me in 2024

For the tool holder I translated it so that the gage line of the holder was at the orign ( Translate to Origin)

then used Solids/ Trim tp Plane ( Top) to remove the taper 

How are you doing this

I use the Mill Assembly Designer in the Tool Manager

I'm doing it inside of the toolpath parameters, then creating a holder, and choosing to "use geometry from a file"  

I used those same files, and they made a holder just fine in 2023.  Maybe I have a setting wrong or something.  

1 minute ago, gcode said:

Are these toolpaths using some plane other than TOP??

Try right clicking inside the Tool Manager and select "Create Tool Assembly"

This is a much better way to build tools assemblies IMO

MY mistake, that IS how I've been doing it.  In the internal tool manager, then creating a new holder.  Because I was wanting to build them separate from an assembly.  Doesn't work either way.  For now I'm building them in 2023, and I'll just have to import them I guess.  

4 minutes ago, gcode said:

Try right clicking inside the Tool Manager and select "Create Tool Assembly"

This is a much better way to build tools assemblies IMO

Whoops looks like I found another bad habit of mine 😝

• Haha 2
27 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

A coworker built a holder using the exact same model and it worked fine.  So it has to be something wrong with my install.  

Could be something to do with the system or chaining tolerances. I have had issues that were linked to different users using different config tolerances and this had a big effect of things.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Zoffen said:

Could be something to do with the system or chaining tolerances. I have had issues that were linked to different users using different config tolerances and this had a big effect of things.

Hope this helps!

I'll check this out tomorrow.    I also realized I don't have the newest update, and something is up with our maintenance.    Showing expired even though it shouldn't be.   Hopefully an update fixes it.   

On 1/22/2024 at 10:01 AM, SlaveCam said:

Did you find a solution?

Sort of.  It has been working all day today.  The last thing I did to fix it was this;

Close Mastercam then press the “Windows” button (at bottom left corner of screen), then type “reg” the search should show a result with “Registry Editor”. Open this item and navigate to “Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\CNC Software, Inc.”

Expand this folder and highlight the “Mastercam 2023” folder, right click it and select “Rename”. Change the name to “Mastercam 2023 old”.

It came back after that, but it seems to be working all day today.  We'll see if it sticks.  

• Like 1