Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cat tool holder Question?

Andy

We use a coolant called Blaser.

No, but we really like the coolant.

We also tried wiping the taper on the holder and the spindle till it was very clean.

And when we run a heavy roughing cut say 1/2 EM I think what happens is the taper gets really driven tight and does not want to release easily hence the banging release.

A little powdered graphite on the taper eliminates the problem at leastfor the time being. I cant be the only one experiencing this.

Thanks,

Andy

------------------

Gordon Engineering

Eureka, Ca.

V8 Lathe and Mill

look for a stuff called "Coppercoat" i think you can get it a parts store.

it what Haas used to use years back has alwas helped me.

never had any problems after that.

it was told to me by a freind that was a tech for haas way back.

------------------

jay/ aka cadcam

Precision Programming

cnc programming &

Predator reseller

email: [email protected]

web: www.ppcadcam.com

Mastercam forum FTP free file support

ftp://www.ppcadcam.com

User: mastercam

Pass: forum

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

From my experience, the lower end machines tend to have spindles that run a bit warmer than the higher end machines. When hogging or running at high speeds for extended periods of time the spindle taper expands. Since there is always tension on the drawbar, the consequense is the tool holder gets pulled up further into the taper.

Using graphite is probably not a good idea because it is so abrasive and can ruin your spindle taper. You may want to try tool holders with the "Black Oxide" coating. This coating tends to have just a bit more lubricity than the polished holders. You may want to buy one or two to experement(sp?) with. Just an idea.

------------------

James M. ;)

All my experience is on Mori Seiki`s and Kitamuras but when we had tool holders stickin it was always in steel spindle machines that the tool ran for a while,never happened in ceramic spindles no matter what the cycle time,coatings on the holder and stuff like that never helped,heat is gonna happen whether the tool is coated or not,cooling is the key,besides the holder is only 50% or less of the problem,the pull stud is the rest so spindle coolers always seemed to fix the problem cause the heat could never build up then

[This message has been edited by d0gFartz (edited 06-05-2001).]

I've got a late 2000 model Fadal 4020 that does the same thing. We use Valcool Turntech as a coolant. I suspect James is right on the money cuz I don't even have to take a heavy cut...any tool that runs at 10 grand for over a minute or so comes out pretty hard. Any program that uses thru the spindle coolant causes all tools to do it to a lesser extent

Regards,

Bo

I have a '99 Fadal 4020 here with the cooled spindle and I have the same problem ..I use the black oxide coated holders and that doesn't help.. I also use Blazer coolant. I haven't found a fix for this either... if anyone has any other idea's I'd like to know too ..

Thanks

Kev

if the spindle taper isnt ground properly you could have problems. they also wear over time. we have our tapers ground periodically to increase rigidity and improve the axial force. this is the company we use, they might be able to provide more information.

http://www.spindlegrinding.com/

[This message has been edited by mbowling (edited 06-05-2001).]

Well, I sure got a lot of responses. smile.gif This must be a popular forum, huh? I luv this forum.

Spindle is not chilled. Rpm was 950. End mill 1/2 roughing and ran for 10 minutes.

No coolant through spindle. Fadal is 1990'.

How about a drop of anti-sieze. Is that what copper coat is?

Thanks, Andy

------------------

Gordon Engineering

Eureka, Ca.

V8 Lathe and Mill

Pam is the only way to go. We used very fine antiseize for long time and that worked some times. Then we swiched to Tri-Flow with teflon and that didn't work too well.(only on first spray), Than a Hurco technician came in for some repair and recomended Pam.

Yes the cooking spray.Forget evrything else.Nothing beats PAM

Jast go to Jewel, pick a case and you are set for three years.

[This message has been edited by beav700 (edited 06-05-2001).]

Andy the coppercoat is like a grease by feel but does have that copper looking color.

and is in a copper looking container.

On the front of the container it says coppercoat.

today i will stop buy the shop that i used to use it at sense i will be around the corner and see if i can get the exact info on it.

------------------

jay/ aka cadcam

Precision Programming

cnc programming &

Predator reseller

email: [email protected]

web: www.ppcadcam.com

Mastercam forum FTP free file support

ftp://www.ppcadcam.com

User: mastercam

Pass: forum

[This message has been edited by cadcam (edited 06-06-2001).]