Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lenovo pc for Mastercam

Alien

Hello guys,

My boss want purchase new pc for work and for some reason intends purchase gaming pc Lenovo Legion 9i tower Intel® Core™ i9-13900KF Processor 32GB DDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 4080 16GB GDDR6  Windows 11 Home 64Bit .  But I  heard many bad reviews about Lenovo pc. What are you thinking about this. Have any one experience with this pc type, how does it works with Mastercam?

Many thanks in advance,

Sincerely,

Michael.

5 minutes ago, JParis said:

I didn't think the "Home Edition" was supported for Mastercam...

and my feeling on GEForce cards is well known...they work for others, I won't buy a system without a Quadro/RTX card

What do you mean by "Home Edition" , the pc type?

Recommended spec's here

https://www.mastercam.com/support/technical-support/system-requirements/

MINIMUM RECOMMENDED
OS Windows 10 or Windows 11 64-bit Professional Windows 11 64-bit Professional
Processor Intel® or AMD 64-bit processor, 2.4 GHz or faster Latest generation Intel i7/i9 processor, 3.2GHz or faster
Memory 8- 12 GB 32- 64 GB
Video OpenGL 3.2 and OpenCL 1.2 support with 1 GB memory. No onboard graphics. NVIDIA RTX or AMD FirePro™/Radeon Pro card with 4 GB (or higher) dedicated memory.
Monitor 1920 * 1080 resolution 1920 * 1080 resolution, dual monitors
Storage Hard drive with at least 20 GB free USB and/or DVD drive (depending on installation media and licensing method) Solid State Drive (SSD) with at least 20 GB free
3D Mouse   3Dconnexion 3D mouse

6 minutes ago, JParis said:

Yes, I saw it. My question is how pc for gaming works with Mastercam. I suggested for my boss Work Station Dell Precision 3660, but he say that this pc stronger and better. I don't sure, but may be I am mistake. For this reason I ask here. 

17 minutes ago, JParis said:

The specs alone take it away from a gaming rig...

If you're doing workstation work, buy a workstation.....if you're gaming, buy a gaming rig...

That's just how I approach it...

I absolutely agree with you. Thank you very much.

2 hours ago, Alien said:

Hello guys,

My boss want purchase new pc for work and for some reason intends purchase gaming pc Lenovo Legion 9i tower Intel® Core™ i9-13900KF Processor 32GB DDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 4080 16GB GDDR6  Windows 11 Home 64Bit .  But I  heard many bad reviews about Lenovo pc. What are you thinking about this. Have any one experience with this pc type, how does it works with Mastercam?

Many thanks in advance,

Sincerely,

Michael.

My opinion is I don't care what the computer was "made for" if it has the best hardware in it to do the job then that's the computer I'd want.

+1 to JP's Quadro/RTX recommendation. The i9-13000 CPU is solid, 16GB RAM probably want to go to 32GB (RAM is cheap), but I also don't know what type of work you're doing and if you need it.

Here's some forum posts discussing computer specs:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jake L said:

My opinion is I don't care what the computer was "made for" if it has the best hardware in it to do the job then that's the computer I'd want.

+1 to JP's Quadro/RTX recommendation. The i9-13000 CPU is solid, 16GB RAM probably want to go to 32GB (RAM is cheap), but I also don't know what type of work you're doing and if you need it.

Here's some forum posts discussing computer specs:

Thank you very much. I am just pc user and for my opinion the pc manufactures know what they are doing. If pc configured for gaming needs they call pc "Gaming pc" or " pc  for gamers". But if pc for graphical works for business, this pc must be configured different.  I trying explain this to my boss but he thinks that pc for gamers very good for  aerospace model working. I don't know, so asking , may be some one have experience with pc for gamers. What is scary me, the many bad reviews about Lenovo pc.

3 minutes ago, Alien said:

What is scary me, the many bad reviews about Lenovo pc.

Now I have my own question for someone to answer... does the brand of a computer matter? If you put the same hardware in a dell computer and a lenovo computer will they not perform the same?

11 minutes ago, Jake L said:

Now I have my own question for someone to answer... does the brand of a computer matter? If you put the same hardware in a dell computer and a lenovo computer will they not perform the same?

I think this is very important who configure machine or device. The car assembled in Germany not same to car assembled in Chine. With pc same story. This of course my opinion and I can mistake.

22 minutes ago, RaiderX said:

Mastercam 2023 seams to work on my windows 11 home version with RTX card. that being said it is probably not ideal?

try at your own risk??

Hi,

Window Home edition is my mistake, sorry. The  Windows 11 pro edition.

Just now, Alien said:

I think this is very important who configure machine or device. The car assembled in Germany not same to car assembled in Chine. With pc same story. This of course my opinion and I can mistake.

Good point. I wasn't thinking about it like that.

Different builders may use different components. A computer from Dell or Lenovo may have the same CPU but are attaching them to a different mother board, may have different types of ram used (speed and manufacturer). For extra reassurance, try and find out what all the components are not just the CPU and video card.

Windows Home vs Pro....no difference for Mastercam. Main difference is Pro has some extra security features (bitlocker)

Gaming vs Workstation. Typically only difference is the video card. Still in the boat that workstation cards are of no benefit to most Mastercam users. If its your bosses money, get a quadro. If you do extremely complex parts, get a quadro. If you are on a budget, GeForce will get you more bang for your buck. That 4080 is a beast and your looking at $$$$ to outperform with an equivalent Quadro card.

Lenovo is a large company making computers for all levels of users. I'm sure their budget offerings will have mixed reviews. This being a higher end system, should be getting what you expect. Still, I would shop around some. Should be some other options at that price range.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, MWearne said:

Different builders may use different components. A computer from Dell or Lenovo may have the same CPU but are attaching them to a different mother board, may have different types of ram used (speed and manufacturer). For extra reassurance, try and find out what all the components are not just the CPU and video card.

Windows Home vs Pro....no difference for Mastercam. Main difference is Pro has some extra security features (bitlocker)

Gaming vs Workstation. Typically only difference is the video card. Still in the boat that workstation cards are of no benefit to most Mastercam users. If its your bosses money, get a quadro. If you do extremely complex parts, get a quadro. If you are on a budget, GeForce will get you more bang for your buck. That 4080 is a beast and your looking at $$$$ to outperform with an equivalent Quadro card.

Lenovo is a large company making computers for all levels of users. I'm sure their budget offerings will have mixed reviews. This being a higher end system, should be getting what you expect. Still, I would shop around some. Should be some other options at that price range.

Thank you very much for explained clear answer!

In my experience, the workstation category of machines are designed top to bottom to last a LONG xxxx time. I know some of the guys on the 3 year upgrade path will shudder - but - I have 2 HP workstations that run daily, one from 2007 and from 2012. The older one has retired from CAD/CAM and video work now, more of a home server.

They both spin up every day, and have no issues with performance or reliability. Will it get beaten by an i9 now? Sure. But in their day? The old one was built in the 'can it run Crysis' era. It did. Not much could touch the dual 2687w setup + Quadro at the time either. Sorry for the story, lol, I have a soft spot for these machines that have been with me longer than my wife!

Point is, you buy a workstation, and it will be productive for a long time.

On 3/19/2024 at 5:27 PM, SuperHoneyBadger said:

In my experience, the workstation category of machines are designed top to bottom to last a LONG xxxx time. I know some of the guys on the 3 year upgrade path will shudder - but - I have 2 HP workstations that run daily, one from 2007 and from 2012. The older one has retired from CAD/CAM and video work now, more of a home server.

They both spin up every day, and have no issues with performance or reliability. Will it get beaten by an i9 now? Sure. But in their day? The old one was built in the 'can it run Crysis' era. It did. Not much could touch the dual 2687w setup + Quadro at the time either. Sorry for the story, lol, I have a soft spot for these machines that have been with me longer than my wife!

Yes, you right. Thank you very much.

On 3/19/2024 at 10:27 AM, SuperHoneyBadger said:

The rig I built to use for CADCAM at Conventus Orthopaedics in 2015 is still running strong as my 11 year old's gaming computer.

I am a big fan of Lenovo! Maybe it's because I get a massive discount through my wife's employer. The previous company I worked for used Lenovo mobile workstations and they worked flawless. Thought we had them replaced every two years, just to keep up with technology. My new employer chooses HP Zbook workstations. I can't stand them! I have not used a desktop for almost two decades due to my job requirements of being mobile. I have enjoyed my Lenovo mobile workstations! I have never used a Legion, so I could not say anything about them, but I highly recommend the Lenovo workstations. I even bought my own Lenovo P17 fully stacked ($8k+), wifey job got it down to ($3600) just to have at home. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Brad Lisle said:

I am a big fan of Lenovo! Maybe it's because I get a massive discount through my wife's employer. The previous company I worked for used Lenovo mobile workstations and they worked flawless. Thought we had them replaced every two years, just to keep up with technology. My new employer chooses HP Zbook workstations. I can't stand them! I have not used a desktop for almost two decades due to my job requirements of being mobile. I have enjoyed my Lenovo mobile workstations! I have never used a Legion, so I could not say anything about them, but I highly recommend the Lenovo workstations. I even bought my own Lenovo P17 fully stacked ($8k+), wifey job got it down to ($3600) just to have at home. 

Thank you very much.