Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T 30 Second Divorce

Rekd™

I just finished playing (successfully?) a game called 30 second divorce with meh wife. You may recall she works at SBC which just ended a 4 day strike.

We were discussing wages for the company and it's future (or lack there of if they don't change something). My winning statement was something to the effect of "...getting paid that kind of money to sit on your xxxx.."

banghead.gif

'Rekd teh never learned when to STFU

I never said she didn't do anything. I just said that her company was bound to fail if they kept paying people what they're paying them for doing what they're doing. She took it in the context that she wasn't worth that kind of money, and started slamming me and meh 20 years to get where I'm at.. :finger:

I am all for her making more money, but lets be realistic: if Burger King were paying it's cooks $20.00/hr they'd a) be out of business next week, or B) we'd be foolish enough to buy their burgers for $6.00 each when Jack in the Box is selling them for $2.00 each across the street.

I was just trying to get her to realize that she can't have 'job security' in that kind of environment.

'Rekd

Phil, I have a pretty good idea what's going to happen; IMNSHO, the union has long outlived it's usefulness in most businesses, and that will amount to SBC's demise in the not-so-distant future. (All or most of SBC's competition is NOT unionized, and therefore has lower over-head cost) SBC can't compete with that for very long and will pay the ultimate price, or make drastic changes to counter the effect.

'Rekd

Matt,

quote:

I was just trying to get her to realize that she can't have 'job security' in that kind of environment.

Job security is a myth in any profession today. frown.gif

Buy her something nice, perhaps for her bike, and tell her your sorry for being so insensive; You know, the pressure of working long hours etc!

cheers.gif And good luck! smile.gif

Regards, Jack

Had a nice experience with SBC recently. I had DSL with SBC and was getting ready to move so I figured might as switch to cable internet with Comcast beacuse it's cheaper and faster. I was paying $49.99 a month with SBC and my download speeds would max out at 45 kbs. My brother around the corner was getting up to 400 kbs and sometimes faster! Comcast cable is only $42.99 a month. So, I call SBC and tell them I want to cancel service. "Mr. Franco, why do you want to cancel may I ask". I'm switching to cable which is faster and cheaper. "Mr. Franco, I have great news". I can lower your monthly payment to $26.99 a month! Really? Why didn't you contact me and let me know that before I threated to leave? It's all BS! banghead.gif I have cable now and my pings are great for the games I play! biggrin.gif

my uncle has 26 yrs with sbc aka pacbell.

I've heard the horror stories of new young management getting paid bonuses to get rid of the oldtimers before they can retire and get a pension!!!

nfranco, same thing with directv. I wanted another box, and they said it would cost me $99.

I told them either give it to me free, or I'll switch to dish network.

Got it free, but had to threaten them with termination of svc.

Jer the hijacker

ps rek'd, roses and a hallmark card do wonders

biggrin.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

... My brother around the corner was getting up to 400 kbs and sometimes faster!...

Here's my stats right now...

code:

2004-05-26 07:43:54 EST: 2692 / 239

Your download speed : 2756648 bps, or 2692 kbps.

A 336.5 KB/sec transfer rate.

Your upload speed : 245287 bps, or 239 kbps.

To test you connection go here;

DSL Reports Speed Test