Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Not a mastercam question, but....

biss03

Could the teacher have possibly wanted to see if kids know that 8 being outside of the () should be calculated (X) to each integer hence 160+8y+8x. It seems to me 7th grade is just starting algebra and the basics.

And 1/3 multiplied by 3 = 1 but 1 divided by 3 =.33333... and .3333~ x 3=.999~

Have a good one!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I was wondering when you'd chime in on this gstephens. Nice addition.

I dread it when my son asks me math questions. Usually I have to get on the computer (Excel or Mastercam) and do the equasion, then break it down on paper.

This forum is great. I learn something in here every day.

------------------

James M. ;)

Josh,

First this is not an equation (no = sign)

Therefore the teacher is not looking for a solution for x or y.

I think what is presented implies they want the student to do distributive multiplication to learn how to deal with paranthesis.

Hence: 8(20+y+x) is 8*20 + 8*y + 8*x

or simply: 160+8y+8x

as Bill noted.

Good luck,

Andy

Hey Bill, yes, change your career to math! wink.gif

------------------

Gordon Engineering

Eureka, Ca.

V8 Lathe and Mill

hey seven,

that will work if your allowed to change it from addition to multiplication (i don't see that anywhere in the math rules).

to everyone who responded,

thanks for all your input. I think that just about all of the answers are probably acceptable. unfortunately it wasn't my child who needed help so i don't know much about the type of math class it was. all i know is it was a review question for the final exam. I think maybe the teacher was having thoughts of what they were going to do during there next 3 months of no work(wouldn't that be nice!!) when this problem was created.

anyways thanks again and don't stop posting if you have new ideas!

josh

Here's another one:

3 Mastercam programmers go to a Mastercam conference and book a room for $30. They pay each $10 for the room. The owner of the place decides to credit them $5. So the bell boy (who didn't finish his math class) decides to pocket $2 and give a $1 back to each programmer.

If each programmer paid $10 and was credited $1, that means they paid $9 x 3 = $27. The bellboy pocketed $2 making it $29. Where's the other dollar????

Here's yet another one,

Two walls are separated by a distance "x".

To determine this distance, a contractor placed a 10 ft ladder at the bottom of the left wall and let it rest on the right side wall.

With a 12 ft ladder, he placed the ladder at the bottom of the right side wall and let it rest on the left side wall.

He mesured the intersection height "h" of the two ladders from ground level to be 6 ft.

How would you calculate the distance "x" between these two walls?

i dont think thats physically possible with the dimension you gave.

but if it was you can determine the distance by solving the simultaneous equations from the similar triangles created by the intersection points

Ambassador has the right idea !

And YES it is a trick question !!!

The walls have to be '0' dist apart for those conditions and you could NEVER get a ladder in between the walls!!

(grumble-grumble %#&^%# I just wasted the last 2 hours working on this)

LOL - BerTau

BTW (by the way) Mike, IMHO is 'in my humble opinion'

[This message has been edited by BerTau (edited 06-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by BerTau (edited 06-10-2001).]

i came in on a saturday because that question was bugging me so much!! it wasnt till i drew it up in mastercam that i noticed it wasnt possible. you guys are funny, very funny.

and why would you hire a contractor that didnt have a tape measure???

[This message has been edited by mbowling (edited 06-11-2001).]