Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Deckel Maho vs. Mikron

Jim at Gentex

Dear forum members,

Since I've been frequenting this web board, there are quite a few individuals here that I have come to respect and admire for their knowledge and their willingness to share ideas and experiences. I pose the following question with the hope of genuine input from someone with experience in this area:

My company is considering purchasing a new 5- axis CNC for our R&D department. Since I am the sole R&D Programmer here, they have sought my opinion concerning this matter, and have narrowed the list down to 2 possibilities to consider. They both look like excellent machining centers that will serve our purpose, and they are similarly priced. I haven't seen either one in operation and have only seen the sales literature, but I will be expected to express a preference for one or the other soon.

The question(s):

[*]Does anyone have first hand experience with the newest generation Deckel Maho or Mikron 5-axis machines?

[*]What are the pros / cons of either or both?

[*]Can I still use Mastercam with either one or both?...or will I need to *gasp* LEARN a new software package? (My head hurts already just thinking about this one!)

Thanks in advance for any input. smile.gif

Jim teh dazed and confused programmer.

confused.gif

What are the axis configurations? If the DMG is the Evolution (nutating table-table) You'll have a tougher time learning how to "deal" with the axes and retracts and stuff.

The control is the biggest issue for multiaxis. The DMG's usually have Heidenhain or Seimens controls on them. Not sure what Mikron is shipping with, but a dataserver (fast) Fanuc would be my preference just for the minimal learning curve.

You'll be able to use Mastercam no matter what direction you go, but you'll need a custom multiaxis post so you should contact your reseller to get quotes on the different options you're looking at.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Do they have their hearts set on those two??? I'd STRENUOUSLY suggest a machine with a Fanuc Control along with the Dataserver Option Glenn mentioned and AICC (G5P1). Perhaps a Mori or a Makino??? :shrug: Choosing a machine with a Fanuc control will minimize the whole learning curve.

JM2C

------------------------------------------------

I have experience with 2 mikrons and I would buy a haas with a trunion first.

------------------------------------------------

LOL

yikes! I bet the Mikron marketing dept. wouldn't want that one getting around...considering the price gap between a mikron and a haas.

steve

Jim, I program 3 different Maho's, and they are older machines. 3 axis with a programmable head, 3 axis with an integrated head, and a 4 axis, the fourth axis being the table (B)

I really like the machines. We are looking into getting into the 5 axis world and I really feel that the best option for us is Maho.

I have a Haas Mini Mill, and a VF-3, they are nice machines, but I only use them if the Maho's are full.

Most people will support the machines that they use daily, because to them they are easy, and there is nothing wrong with that. Good luck in your decision, my vote goes for Maho.

cheers.gif

I would dig into exactly which control you would be getting. The TNC line is extremely powerful and flexible for programming, tool pickup, Datum Shifts/Tables, etc... I know the Millplus falls short on functionality compared to the TNC530 but I don't know how short. Definately go over with a fine tooth comb what options the controller (I was you mentioned millplus) will have, and how that compares to the TNC530.

HTH

Wow...thanks for the thoughtful input, guys!

I will be having a meeting with the 'suits' next week to discuss how WE are going to spend THEIR money. wink.gif Hopefully I will get to address some of the questions raised here in this discussion and be allowed some additional input before they decide anything. You guys have given me some very solid advice and stimulating food for thought for which I am grateful. biggrin.gif

I'll post a thread later when they decide what they will do. Either way, I'll be like a kid at Christmas when they roll it in!! LOL cheers.gif