Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Spindle Speeds and Tapping

mcamininc

It seems that mastercam does not have a separate field for taps in the actual material setup for feeds and speeds -to get something more realisitic one would have to set feed/speed uand set to tool or simply overwrite the values mastercam calculates which seem to bee for drilling only.

Yeah my friend the Bear is right on the money here I never use from Material always from tool. I also have set up our post that use pitch on the machine that needs it and feed realtive to pitch on the ones that need that also. The trick is that some machines do things in certain ways and you want a post that can adapt to that need. I also would be wary becuse alot of the machiens out there can not syncnorize the feed to spindle if either or is too fast. Point is case if you have the spindle at a place where the machines needs to feed at 200 ipm and the machine does not cut good 3d surfaces at this feedrate then chances are your tapping is not going ot go good at this feedrate also. I alos like to use none becuase I am a control freak about my programs I will do thing a certain way to insure I put the control at my finger tips not soemthign that thinks it knows is what is the best feed and speed for doing something. In mastercam you have so many ways to make your own things to your liking it boggles the mind sometimes all there is to remember just in the different ways you can set soemthing ro do soemthing and that is dealing with just libaires, tools, operations, saved ops, configrations and the such. These all seems like alot to take in or do but like anything once you have it to your liking it is there every time you need it.

just my 2 cents worth

Well this comes from the libary. If you have more than one tool that is the same in the libary what will soemtimes happen is that the last tools default seem to stick in the memory of the operation. I found it best to clean out the libary now you ask how do I go about that well it is easier than it sounds. There to me is no easy way to do this in Mastercam but when you export the libary as a txt file and edit it in Cimco not a txt editor becuse they want to screw with the format you can easliy delete the duplicate tools from the libary. Then you save the file as the name it was or as a new name then you can import that libary back into mastercma all cleaned up and to your liking. Now here is the trick lets say you want to be lazy and take all of the drill and taps from the standard tool libary again just as easy in Cimco. Export it as a TXT file tehn copy the ones you want and add them to the new libary. Now to go even one step futher you could change the offset numbers and the tool numbers more to your liking say you have a 24 ATC then you know you want all tols tols to be less than 24 tools. One futher thing and sorry for the length. I take my ATC and divide it by 2. From tool 1 to 11 in this case for the 24 atc these are my milling tools I commonly use. I then take tool 12 as my center drill or Spot drill and then keep standard stuff if doing rpeats the same. I keep T20 as my edgefinder for evey machine and keep my face mill in 24 if 3" or less and T23 if 4" up to 6. I have found that if you keep certain tools in certain places and everyone follows that in certain enviorments everyone can go behind others and keep set-up down to a minimum. Just my thinking and really needs to be certain places for this to work well but I have seen it be a great way if doing alot of the same work.

Just my 2 cents worth

HTH