Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T JFK is alive and running for President

Code_Breaker

Has anyone notice that the "followers" of John F. Kerry is now calling him JFK????

Even some in the forum are doing this:

quote:

Times today had her learning across JFK . . .

I know that these are his initial, and John F Kennedy does not own the rights to them, but it appears to me that he is trying to "capture" the white house with very unusal methods.

Oh my God, he even looks like a Kennedy?!?!?!

Code_Breaker

cheers.gif

----------------------------------------

Will Rogers never met John Kerry

----------------------------------------

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Kt...

nice touch...

quote:

ich bin ein berliner!

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif I have not seen that quote since I was in 6th grade.

You know I was watching the DNC last night, and there was this guy that was telling us ...who John Kerry is... He sounded like he was in a church pulpit... rolleyes.gif , it's fine to tell us us about the guy, it's what he's supposed to be doing, but don't make it sound like a sermon... don't make it seem like the guy is a saint because he served in Viet Nam. Many, many many, fine men and women and they are forgotten. For the most part the whole DNC turned my stomach. You know, I used to think Hillary was a piece of work... she's got NOTHING on Kerry's wife, man.... she's a serious liability. So, if Kerry were to win, what cause would she take up... manners??? rolleyes.gif Speaking of Hillary, her speaking ability is terrible. She's so monotone and "sing-songy", it irritates like fingernails on a chalkboard. She needs to go back to school and take some public speaking courses. I'mnot talking about the content of her speeches, it's the delivery that's absolutely atrocious(sp?)

JM2C

Hi

I personally liked Bill Clinton's intro, and especially his opinion on the Bush tax cuts.

As a whole, it's just nice to hear something besides " They're coming to get us" every once in a while.

On bad public speaking, have you ever tried to listen to W. He's laughable, at best, but typically just embarassing as a supposed leader of the free world.

Oh wait, am I still allowed to type that kind of comment??

John

quote:

ich bin ein berliner!

Yeah, Kennedy's "I am a jelly donut" was a classic. But unless your familiar with German it was actually quite understandable. Its one of those quirks about German that can confuse people...and apparently JFK [sorry, Kerry, am talking about the real JFK... and Senator, you ain't no John Kennedy!]

In German, Ich bin Berliner means "I am a Berliner"....Ich bin ein Berliner means "I am a jelly donut". Kennedy added the "ein" which means "a or an"-----oops! biggrin.gif In english, it would mean the same just sound a little funny. In German, it has a totally different meaning. The Germans were well aware of this and knew exactly what Kennedy was trying to say. cool.gif

its pretty similar with french as far as using articles with certain discriptors although i cant really think of a case where it would accidentally cause one to call one's self a pastry treat. ...sometimes i just wish i were a jelly doughnut... thats all. smile.gif

It pertains to where someone is from, as in what country or city, etc. Usually, this is not the normal case concerning German.

Ich bin Clevelander..."I am a Clevelander." Ich bin ein Clevelander means nothing in German, although, every German would know what you meant to say.

Unfortunately for Kennedy, Berliner also means "jelly donut". Its a noun not a pronoun [proper names, like a Berliner, Clevelander, etc.] With nouns you use an "a" i.e. ein, eine, or einer. With proper names the "ein/e/er" is omitted.

OK, enough of the German lessons bonk.gif

P.S. German is way more similiar to english than it is to french. English is a germanic language, French is a romantic language like Spanish, Portugeese(sp.?), and Italian.

quote:

The 'jelly doughnut' thing was slang. Don't you know what it means? It's like, "Dude, I'm a F&%$in' doughnut, man!"

No, Mark, it really does mean a jelly donut. It is not slang.

When one goes to a bakery and says, "Ich mochte ein Berliner, bitte" he or she is saying, "I would like a jelly donut, please"

P.S. The F word is fick. Sounds almost like english...and means the same exact thing.

quote:

The 'jelly doughnut' thing was slang.

You're real close Mark, but your example is a off. confused.gif

In Germany, outside Berlin, jelly doughnuts are called "Berliner" (but usually referred to as "Pfannkuchen" in Berlin itself). This has led some people to believe that the phrase Kennedy uttered was amusingly ambiguous ("I am a jelly doughnut"), which is, for the most part, incorrect. While the phrase could possibly be understood that way, both the context of the quotation and the fact that jelly doughnuts are not actually called "Berliner" in Berlin made this unlikely. Normally a Berliner would say "Ich komme aus Berlin" ("I am from Berlin"), but because Kennedy wanted to emphasize the common identity among people of the "world of freedom", that usage would have been misleading. "Ich bin Berliner" (cf. "Ich bin Amerikaner", "Ich bin Deutscher" etc.) would be preferred in common usage. wink.gif

Paul B.

No, Mark, it really does mean a jelly donut. It is not slang.

Well, I guess that's what I get for not using a smiley face to show when I'm joking. Perhaps if my joke had included that most critical element, humor, it might have been more readily recognizable as such. But what do I know? After all, I'm a liberal, and we all know liberals have no sense of humor, right? wink.gif

(note smiley face to indicate that I'm joking this time)