Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

IT Guy strikes again

Noel

I am still on Version 8.1.1 running on a p3 933 with 128 of ram my OS is windows 2000 profesional.My problem is that the IT guy came in and ran a bunch of windows updates and now when I try to verify a program Mastercam crashes without a warning or a warning message. Is there anything that could have been changed by running the windows updates to cause this to occur.I had to get him to put my old mouse driver back in so that the mmouse chook would work again. Before he touched my puter it was very stable with no problems. Any ideas ?

cheers.gif Noel

Deinstall your graphic card driver completly (in safe Mode) and reinstall it ,Noel

teh IM my own IT guy ,noone touches my putters ,that`s I come to help others .

And noone has a right to update my OS

HTH

WTHH

[ 09-02-2004, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: Winnie Teh Pooh ]

Did he install any updated drivers from Windows Update? I've found that Microsoft drivers tend to do more harm than good. In the case of video drivers, especially nVIDIA, never ever install the ones found on Windows Update; stick with the reference drivers from nVIDIA's site. I've found that the nVIDIA drivers from Windows Update tend to be very bare and support very few features of the hardware. Those drivers basically get you up and running and nothing further. There are three types of downloads at Windows Update; critical updates, recommended updates and drivers. My philosophy on Windows Update is this. Always get the latest crtical updates. Get the recommended updates if it applies to you. Never get the driver updates; go straight to the manufacturers' website for those.

quote:

To understand how Windows Quality Online Services works, consider it as part of a set of technologies and services including Windows Error Reporting and Online Crash Analysis. In the event of a crash, the user of a third-party device, driver, or application is prompted by Windows Error Reporting to send an error report to Microsoft. If the user chooses to send the report, encrypted information (chiefly a memory minidump) is sent to a secure server at Microsoft where it is processed by Online Crash Analysis.

Using the resulting information, Microsoft contacts the user who initiated the error report with a message containing a link to resolution information.

I don't know of anyone that has ever been contacted by Microsoft after submitting an error report rolleyes.gif I think I prefer the extra 4MB of RAM I save by only using reference drivers from the manufacturer and disabling the Error Reporting Service wink.gif

• 3 months later...

I finaly figured out what to change to stop mcam from crashing when I verify. If I drop my computer to 256 colour from 32 or 16 bit it does not crash. Any ideas on what to do to fix it so I can run 32 bit colour. I have reinstalled the nvidia drivers and there was no change.

cheers.gif Noel

The main difference between 256 colour mode and 16-bit/32/bit colour mode is where the colour palette comes from. In 256 colour mode, all colours are found using the colour palette built into the video card. 16-colour mode uses a software palette (Windows) but will use the hardware palette is a colour is available there. 32-bit colour always uses the software palette. But that doesn't solve your problem... frown.gif

Does it only crash in Verify?