Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

books or classes on lean manufacturing

somename75

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I've found the SME Seminars the most imformative. The only problem with them is they tend to be a little vanilla as opposed to industry specific which is probably what you're looking for. Though the seminars that I've attended I've ALWAYS been able to take something productive from them.

HTH

James, I remeber you saying that this is how you guys run your outfit in a previous post. I have no clue whatsoever what lean manufacturing is, but always looking to improve productivity. Maybe you enlighten a fellow where to begin as far as research from the absolute dummy perspective?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Lean Mfg. is essentially having little to no WIP (Work In Process), your facility is laid out in a manner so as to make workflow orderly not zig-zagging all over the place. Lean Mfg. tends to favor cellular layouts, things like Kan Ban, Kaizen (Continuous Improvement), etc...

Where to begin??? Take a process that you think is inefficient, and study it for a set period of time so as to get a good data sample. Measure distances walked for this or that, measure operator motion, part transfer, etc... After you measure, you can quantify how much something actually costs to produce. Once you study it, then look at various ways to improve it. Sometimes it as simple as rearranging equipment. Sometimes it's more than that.

HTH

We used a company called World Class something or other. I am not sure if they just implemented, work for this company or own it tri state , but they took us on a tour of it, and it was layed out very well. They are very organized which in turn gets stuff out the door. There goal is to have as little inventory with as much production as possible. The hardest part about being "lean" is to get every person on the same team, which is essentially what you are doing.

There first example of how inefficient we were was to have us "map" out where and what we went to get on a typical day. It was unbelievable how much time we spent either walking to get something or looking for something.

It is a continuous program that is always changing to improve things. Management, machinists, millwrights, material handlers (labors) all have weekly meetings to come up with ideas to improve. We have certain people in mandrel reduction meetings, job stoppage meetings etc. Not all ideas of the lean principle will apply to everyone, but there are definite ideas that will help any company.

From my point of view, the biggest factor is listening to everyone and implementing the best ideas as time and money become available. It could be something as simple as chaining a wrench to a machine so it is always there, or having a broom hanging where it should be so nobody is spending time looking for it. We are in no way a model lean shop, but a lot of there ideas have definitly made improvements. Our turn around time on a new mandrel was about 26 weeks, the goal was to get them down to 13. Last year we made 13 mandrels at one point with a 2 week delivery period between each one. And no, it wasn't pretty, lots of ot, but it got done. Lotsa crabby people, but the lean process did help a bunch.

JM2C

Jimmy,

quote:

A good readable (ie, wont bore you to death) book is "The Goal." Check it out and go find Herbie.

Fantastic book. I recommend it to anyone serious about improving their shop read it. It's a novel that actually imparts knowledge like a textbook. Not a long book either. Great read. I should have a copy somewhere...

cheers.gif