Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Moving blanked entities to another level

Have you ever needed to change everything on one level to another level, but had numerous blanked entities on the source level? Mastercam won't move blanked entities. Here is how I solved the problem. If anybody has a better solution, I'd like to hear about it. Move all the unblanked entities to an unused level, but not your target level. Then make the target level main, hide (uncheck visable) the unused level you moved the unblanked entities to, and then unblank the blanked entities on the source level. Once they are unblanked, make the target level main and move the entities on the source level to the target level. With the target level still main, blank all entities. Once blanked, make visable the unused level where you moved the original unblanked entities and move those entities to the target level (Screen, Chg Level, Move, OK). Sounds a little convoluted, but it's not that bad. rolleyes.gif

I normally don't worry about what level the blanked items are on, I just label that level 'Blanked Items' and forget about it.

There is a much easier way to do what you want though.

1, Make your target level Main, and make visable only the source level and target level.

2, Change Levels - All Entities to the target level.

3, Use Alt E to hide all entities.

4, Screen Blank-Unblank all entities.

5, Change levels - All Entities.

6, Screen Blank - All Entities.

7, Alt E to unhide your geometry.

Done !!

HTH

quote:

I normally don't worry about what level the blanked items are on, I just label that level 'Blanked Items' and forget about it.

+1

One thing I have done is after you have moved all visible enities, unblank and change everything to a color not used, then move them to the target level. Then blank that color.

cheers.gif

I agree with midwest, then once you have moved them (and they are a color that never gets used for anyhting else) then blank all of that color once you get it to your destination level.

Works for me.

Just to review, I move all visible entities (on the level that is in question), unblank all the entities on that level, change them all to some unused color, move all of these entities to the new level, then blank all of color (color that the "unblanked" entites are). This works well for me. Good luck.

Took me along time to get this one down, learning it on my own. I came from UG world and this was not an issue there. Not saying that either is better, just the reality of where I came from.

Forum Member BerTau wins my applause. Thanks for the ALT-E hide/unhide insight. From the other responses it is apparent that users manage their geometry in different ways and that is certainly ok. The geometry of my guitar parts occupies several levels and consists of several colors to keep things straight. Most of my blanked entities consist of construction geometry that I use as helps to get to the final part. When finished, they only serve to remind me how I got from point A to point B, so to speak, so I blank them on their respective levels. Thanks to all for the responses. It is great to see how others are using Mastercam.

I believe I have an even simpler way to accomplish this.

On the 3rd page of the toolbar, there is a toolbutton called Change Attributes.

1. Scroll to the 3rd page of the toolbar.

2. Hit Screen---Blank---Unblank

3. Select the Change Attributes toolbutton.

4. Turn on the Level check box, and type in or select the target level.

5. Hit All---Entities--Done and a couple of hits of the Escape button.

And thats it!

Using this method, I am able to move the blanked entities to a different level without actually having to unblank the entities. I have found that I use the Change Attributes button alot. So I went into Screen---Config and moved that toolbutton to the 1st page of the toolbar.

Hope this helps!!

I made a Hotkey to take me into the CHANGE LEVEL MENU. SCREEN, CONFIGURE then the TOOLBARKEY tab. After the Hot key is made, change your active level to the level you want the blanked entities on and do- SCREEN, BLANK, UNBLANK, then the Hotkey (ALT-Q is mine) This will now bring up the CHANGE LEVEL MENU and all its options.

• 2 months later...

quote:

On the 3rd page of the toolbar, there is a toolbutton called Change Attributes.

+1000 I have been using this for some time . . . great and useful tool biggrin.gif

I also change all blanked item to color 150 (never use it anywhere else). When I use untrim surface several times, I want to be able to UNDO ALL. I can do this by unblanking the selected color and blanking color 150. This was better than my old[/] way of saving, then trying this or that and this again, and if not liking it, get file again without saving current file. Real pain. cuckoo.gif

just a thought . . . headscratch.gif