Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hobbies?????

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I know there is a section in our profile that lists hobbies but there are many that didn't put anything in there. So, with that said, what do you all do for kicks?

I race BMX in the 31 Over Novice(that means I have not won 6 races) class at a local track. Coal Canyon BMX. My sons Michael 13 Novice and Brian 5& Under Novice race as well. We took Brian's training wheels off three weeks ago, he wanted to race immediately. Usually thurdsay nights are race night and every day the question "Is it thursday yet?" is spoken. Payday was yesterday so race day is today as well. biggrin.gif"><P>That

------------------

James M. ;)

Mastercam Enthusiast

Hello,

My hobby is softball & dogs. I manage a tournament team here in San Diego. We travel all over. We are one of the top teams in SoCal. SOOOO, if there are any sponsors out there, HINT-HINT, e-mail me and I will get all the information you need. We have a lead with Easton, but need a couple of more wins under our belts. This coming weekends State Tournament would be a big plus.

My other hobby is dogs. I have raised Rottweilers for about 12 years. I only have one male left. He is getting up there in age now. He has been such a good dog, I do not want to try and replace him with another Rott. For that reason I chose the Dogue de Bordeaux breed. They are such beautiful dogs. There are only about 3000 in the US. They are a very large breed. A good weight for a male goes at 160 lbs. and a female should weigh around 140 lbs. My male puppy now weighs 40 lbs and femail weighs 32 lbs. They are 18 weeks old. My first dog show with these guys will be in August.

When I am not playing with my dogs or traveling playing ball, I coach my oldest sons baseball team. For this past season, he hit .746. For the season ending all-star tournament, he got most valuable by hitting .833 and turning 6 double plays. He plays shortstop and is only 8 yrs old.

With work and all of my "hobbies", my life is pretty busy. I do not think I would have it any other way though.

------------------

Trevor Bailey

[email protected]

Specializing in Contract Programming

It's great to hear that some of you are doing something accept work. smile.gif

Most of my weekends i'm in the sea,doing scuba diving.

I'm Padi's divemaster, and i will be instructor soon.

I also love to travel.

Like the most Israelis,i had a great tour when i finished army,and i went with my girlfriend for 4 month to south america.

Imagine how hard it was to be back at work again wink.gif

I play in a fast pitch softball league in Norwalk, I also like to golf when I get the chance. I use to play 2-3 times a week in slowpitch leagues around Orange County. But stopped, just fastpitch now on Sundays. Things do not heal like they used too.

I also watch my oldest son (17) play Basketball for his High school, and listen my youngest (16)play guitar. Funny he plays Hendrix, and Zep!! Songs that I know! Thank God.

Mike

Amazing! I used to race BMX from when I was 14 through until I was 20. I used to have a GT 24...Best bike I ever owned. I was New Zealand No.4 in Cruiser when I was 19. I now mountain bike as much as I can. My other interest, apart from my family, is WWII jeeps. I'm currently looking for one to buy and restore, as I absolutely dig those vehicles, ever since I took a fully restored 1942 Jeep for a drive.

Jay,

if you don't mind me asking, how old are you? That happens to be a hobby of mine also (only not on as big a scale). I've only done one major project, an 1988 nissan pathfinder. I mostly do installs for friends. actually thought about doing it for a living at one time.

some other hobbies of mine are coaching high school baseball, playing softball and hunting.

If you try hard enough you can squeeze in time for a hobby. I like to fish the Great Lakes with my friends and take my three boys and wife out too. On Tuesdays is our golf league here at work. Wednesdays used to be my Sporting Clay league night. I miss shooting that. The winter is 3D archery.

This fall I will be Headin To Montana for a whitetail and mule deer hunt. Every other year I try to make it out west for hunting.

The fall is the hardest time because I love duck hunting, bow hunting and upland bird and pheasant hunting.

I am a committee member for the St.Clair Flats Duck's Unlimited, committee member for Waterfowl USA, member of Pheasants Forever, member of Perch Point Conservation Club and a member of the NRA. whew!

I am an avid reader. I usually read 4 to 5 novels a year in classic literature. One day I hope to write a book.

How do I find the time you ask? Make time! Because we will only pass this way once so enjoy life while you can.

Also, I am a soccer dad and next year I will be coaching my son's little league team.

------------------

B. Henderson

OMEGA PlASTICS

[email protected]

opinc.com

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 07-16-2001).]

james, i too used to race bmx. i raced in the early 90's until about '94 when i was 14.i raced until i got into the expert class and got bored with it. i moved onto racing mountain bikes. which took me into my current passion which is track racing at the lehigh valley velodrome. i also race some road. so, most of my free time after my 40hrs. of mcam is devoted to training on the bike,time in the gym and most importantly, time spent with my girlfriend. yep, that's about it! see ya-bob

------------------

Robert Blaisdell

CNC Programmer

Lawrence Mold & Tool Corp. -Trenton, NJ

Let's see...

I like to play guitar and am still taking lessons from a guy who plays for a living.(www.tdclark.com) I am currently running and add to start a band up to play mostly car show's etc.(Then I am not out till 4a.m.)

Last year was my third year back at Motocross racing,since doing that all through my younger years(living at home)! I ended up 4th in my class

(Non current,which is a machine at least five years old) mine is a mint 94 CR 250.

I had to race from March Through september

not to give any points away to anyone.

A big thank you to my wife for giving me the green light and an open check book for one full blown race season smile.gif

I haven't been to the track once this year.

I trailride with my son(4) by the powerlines etc.

I Hunt Bow and Slug for deer.

I picked up a hole digging ,garden ruining/furniture eating, Black lab

and will bird hunt this season a few times.

We fish from our canoes in the spring. We just bought a camper.I figured with my oldest being 12 it won't be too long before she want's to stay home etc. and not want to hang with us anymore...Sooo add Camping to the list!

Hi,

My main hobby is drag racing. I've got a 1978 Chevy Monza with a 350 engine, powerglide, and narrowed Ford 9" rearend on a ladder bar suspension. It has a one piece tilt fiberglass frontend, lexan windows and aluminum interior work. I've done almost all the work myself in my own shop including fab'ing the rear frame and suspension parts. I do my own engines, transmissions and rearend gear setup as well. The car's best time to date is 7.11 seconds at just over 98 mph in the 8th mile. My wife helps out at the track and I couldn't do it without her.

I also like to fish and hunt some but not as seriously as the racing.

------------------

David

CNC Programmer

Jay, your cars are very impressive! Where do you find the time?

This last year I've been learning to sail! One of my friends at work has a sailboat and got me started. A bunch of us go out all the time. Unlike living in Southern Cal, up here I’m 10 minutes away from the marina from work. I bought a 25 foot Cal a couple of years ago. They are great boats - Robin Lee Graham sailed 3/4 of the world on a Cal 24 -'The Dove'.

http://www.stocktonsc.org I'm co-chair of the Junior Committee. Oh Boy!

Football starts next Monday - my son has been playing Pop Warner since he was 7 years old and 62 pounds! He is now 5 foot 9 and 145 pounds. This is our last year in parks and recreations football - next year it'll be High School Freshman Ball. Mike played 'all stars' last years and he thinks he's hot stuff! I must admit he’s fun to watch. He plays defensive end and tight end.

Right now my daughter is swimming, and the championship is the weekend after next. After that she can devote her time to football. Yes, she also plays on her brother’s team; this will be her third year. I want to keep her on the JV division, at 11 1/2 years she just isn't ready for Varsity. Her coaches absolutely love her - 'She's tough'. Gives 200 percent out there on the field. I’m big time involved in the Parents Boosters; another Mom and I have put together the program for the last two years. I also tape the JV/ Varsity games for the coaches.

Maybe Jay would post some pictures on his web site. ???

So with two teens and a sailboat, no wonder I’m working weekends!

Kathy smile.gif

Seems like most people in the machining business are into cars, bikes, motorcycles or airplanes.

I haven't had much time the last year, but I am a glider pilot and private pilot.

Soaring is extremely interesting: physically demanding due to heat, bumpiness of flying in thermals, and tight turns in thermals. It's totally recreational (that is, you can only hope to go somewhere, no guarantee), and completely "seat of the pants" flying.

Power planes are very technical, particularly in the very crowded S. Calif. airspace. Lots of radios, navigation, and looking out for the other guy.

I spend most weekends from Sept to June doing sound board and techie stuff for a youth band that has about 30 kids aged 11 to 19. They performed 35 concerts last year and have 3 recordings under their belt. Check out chaverimband.com for a looksee.

I like to ride bicycles, mountain bike and road bike. I usually ride between 3000-4000 miles a year. I race the mountain bike in the sport vet class. (Sport is between expert and beginner, veteran is the 35-44 age group.) So far this year I have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, & 5th. Last Sunday I was 3rd at 'The Curse of Dark Hollow' in the Michaux State Forest in central Pennsylvania.

I tried racing road bikes but it's not as exciting as MTB's. I also have a cyclo-cross bike on order and plan to race it in the fall.

I got into cycling because when I turned 30 years old I started putting on weight, and tried running to lose it. The running thing got old real fast so I tried cycling and have been doing it ever since. Now at 44 I can beat most of the kids half my age.

I also like hiking, cross country skiing, and just plain being outside, away from this computer.

Aside from my family I like model machining and working on guns (and firing them). I built the muzzle breaks for my chiropracter's .50 bmg's and fired a couple of rounds, definitely a religious experience. Kicks harder than 3 1/2" 00 buckshot but not quite as painful due to the slower burning powder/large case volume. Now am working on two M60's. But my personal favorites are my .454 Casull Raging Bull, my Benelli Nova 3 1/2" magnum 12 ga and, believe it or not, my itty bitty, really cheap, Bryco Arms .22 auto.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

.....Speaking of Drag Racing, the company I work for makes Drag Racing engines, heads, etc... Very fun. And they turn out some of the trickest stuff on the planet. I like to watch drag racing. Top fuel is my favorite class to watch. Something about 6000+ HP ..... 330+ MPH.... Mmmmmm, Mmmmm, Mmmmmmm.

------------------

James M. ;)

Mastercam Enthusiast

Yes, M60's are legal as well as most other military weapons in Utah (not necessarily part of the United States says a very liberal machine tool tech Instructor that I teach with. Who knows why he moved to ultra conservative utah.) However, they must be semi-auto unless you have a federal firearms license which costs about 300.00$ per year. I have a conceal carry permit but not an FFL so I can't legally work on anything that is automatic.