Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Plunge Milling

Guido

Hi all,

My company just sent me to Kennametal University in Seattle.

It was Awsome.

I took the Metal Cutting Application Enginerring Course.

One of the tools that they showed us was called a plungemill.

It can be found in the Kennametal Milling Tooling Catolog under Die & Mold.

Im sure quite a few of you are using these tools.

I was wondering if any of you have ideas on how to program it with V8 mill level one or two.

I've already thought of using a G81 and stepping over but im sure there is an easier way to do it.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Joe

confused.gifbanghead.gifheadscratch.gif

Poetically speaking 'no'... biggrin.gif J/K

If you have level 2 you should be able to cut a rough-surface. I think... you might have to run one surface at a time. headscratch.gif

G81 that's good thinking... I wouldn't leave that machine to rough alone like that though. firebounce.gif

Cold and rainy up there in Oregon yet?

Thanks Chip,

Nah it's been in the upper 70's for a few days.

...but its comming....Brrrrr

It's not the cold that gets you in Oregon.

It's the grey.

You can go WEEKS without seeing blue sky let alone the sun.

But the spring and summers make it all worth it smile.gif

...and we can walk over to our kitchen sink, turn on the faucet, and take a chug of water better then any bottled stuff I've ever tasted.

Joe

quote:

...and we can walk over to our kitchen sink, turn on the faucet, and take a chug of water better then any bottled stuff I've ever tasted.

+1 cheers.gif

Did you get your rough plunge toolpath? We have a couple rough plunge e.m.'s. None of us moldmakers use them. I don't really like the way they rough. I think it's hard on the spindles... bonk.gif

If I had a 50 taper Makino... headscratch.gifrtfaq.gif Some of the guys here in the forum I'm sure get them making chips... I'm not discourging the op. I just don't use it at all. wink.gif

cheers.gif

quote:

I think it's hard on the spindles...

Its not really harder on the spindle your using

the strongest part of the machine that way.

Side cutting puts much more pressure on your spindle.

Thats the whole idea behind the technology, utilizing

the strongest part of the machine.

PEACE biggrin.gif

quote:

Its not really harder on the spindle your using

the strongest part of the machine that way.

Side cutting puts much more pressure on your spindle.

Thats the whole idea behind the technology, utilizing

the strongest part of the machine.

+1000 I'll buy that... rtfaq.gif I have a 1.250 kennametal rough plunge... last time I ran that tool, I could'nt evac' the chips... mad.gif sounded like Sh!*. curse.gif We bought the tool though! cheers.gif

Like I said before:

quote:

Some of the guys here in the forum I'm sure get them making chips... I'm not discourging the op. I just don't use it at all.

I just did'nt have time to get it to work... headscratch.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

+1000 to Hardmill. As a fromer Machine Tool BUilder Apps Engineer I wholeheartedly endorse this metal removal technique. Ther IS NOT a faster way to rough out a block than with a plunge mill. It's no harder on your machine than drilling. It's not something you can just throw in and expect it to be a miracle worker. There are specific strategies that work and some that DO NOT. My preference is first, to cut DRY[/b )if cutting steel, then go from the outside in of cutting a core and going from insite out if cutting a cavity. Stepovers will depend on several factors HP being the least important.

HTH

quote:

I've already thought of using a G81 and stepping over but im sure there is an easier way to do it

Not really if you want efficient tool path.

You can try rough surface but it really SUCKS (sorry Mastercam... biggrin.gif )

I use it a lot to face parts, especially ones with bosses on them. It involves creating a lot of geometry (circles lines ) dividing them to get desired stepover, creating points and then it is just a simple G81 toolpath (no coolant).

It's a pain but plunging kicks a$$ biggrin.gif

Time saving on a particular part in 17-4 ph was 90+%. I like using plungers where applicable.

About 4 years back I had to mill a slot 8" deep by 1.75" wide and 25" long in 4340(the whole thing weighted about 500 pounds). Try doing this with a rougher... banghead.gif That's when we started using plungers.

I use it on a cat 50 mori vmc, but it will do great on 40 taper also. Somebody said it is much easier on the machine than aggresive roughing and I agree.

Just wish MC would have a little better options in utilizing this great tool...

smile.gif

Kind regards, Mark

Guido,

I do believe I know you. Yeah the Kennametal U. really rocked. Lots of really smart old boys with white hair that have just about seen it all. As for the plunge milling, G81 would probably work but I'm not thrilled about dragging the tool back up on the retract. The parts I have in mind are not in cavities such as a mold or the like. So chip evacuation should not be a problem. The material is a VERY high strength structural steel. about 42 Rc. The presentation agreed exactly with what James and Hardmill have posted. Primary cutting force right up into the spindle bearings. They also explained to us that this is a roughing process only. You will have to clean up the scallops (sp?) with another tool but the material removal is awesome.

Oh, Guido. I'm still wondering how you got the room with the jacuzzi and wet bar. Turbo smooze?

quote:

I'm not thrilled about dragging the tool back up on the retract.

Agreed, this could be a problem especially on deep plunges (3 x dia +) but there are now many different plungers that can eliminate this.

Seco Carboloy does rub on retract because it has a negative angle at a bottom but it is a real hammer(better have chip conv. running, otherwise you gonna be swimming in chips). If rubbing on retract is a problem try using iscar (6 inserts). It has a positive angle at the bottom which makes cutter bite into a wall on plunge so there is no rubbing on retract...

smile.gif

Kind regards, Mark

quote:

What other kind of applications did they show

you guys??

+1 I'm determined to get this to work... rtfaq.gifbanghead.gif

I will look into the seco and a couple other cutters. I know two other mold makers who use this toolpath (Rough-Plunge) all the time. O.D. roughing is good for clearance, a lot of times we run cavities or pockets... headscratch.gif

cheers.gif

Yeah, Guido is right. $500 sounds about right.

The course was all day Tuesday and Wed., and until noon on Thursday. They covered mechnics of metal cutting, chip groove geometry, edge preps (T-lands & hones), single point threading, hole making, rotary tool holder selection, thread milling, tapping and lots of other stuff. They gave us a very good presentation on failure analysis of cutting tools and inserts. I got a lot from the discussion of "In cut optimiaztion".

Tool life vs: max production etc.

I have to give them credit for not making it a huge Kennametal ad. I came back with lots of knowledge that I intend to apply at work. I would strongly recommend this class to anyone involved in metal removal.