Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

600 with same drill

Fralex_francois

+1 Hardmill

Check out their series 1042 RT 800WP drills with their Series #2485 Solid Carbide inserts. Those things will last forever.

If you're thinking solid carbide I suggest Mitsubishi MZS Type Drills over Guhring. Better speeds/feeds, and last a lot longer. If you insist on Guhring than try series 5510 over 5511 (regardless of what the sales guy says).

quote:

but I'm gonna do a spot drill

Using solid carbide, spot drilling is not recommended (at least that is what I was always told).

You could also try using Sandvik carbide insert drills. You could get a "sleve" to turn your tool into "coolant through", but very expensive.

A less expensive alternative to the drills listed above are Precision Twist "QC" Parabolic TiN coated jobber length drills. Run them in 4130/4140 at 100 sfm, 5.0-6.0 ipm all day long, though you do need to peck them. A 1/2" will run $25-30 each.

Another alternative which will run at similar feeds and speeds is the Hertel "Max Output" TiAlN coated jobber length drill. A bit more expensive; around $30-35 for a 1/2" drill.

OSG "Ex-Gold" drills are good performing drills which do a great job of breaking up the chips. Because the chips are broken up by the unique tool point design, you can run them without pecking. A 1/2" drill will run you around $80.

I've used them all, and they all have worked well. One of the biggest factors in drill performance/tool life will be the rigidity of your set-up. If you are drilling plates suspended across parallels, I would caution the use of carbide tooling. Carbide works best in rigid set-ups.