Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Looking for solid carb cutters for deep narrow cavities.

MetalFlake

I have an aluminum cavity job that requires some skinny cutters. The cavity tapers from about .700wide to .312 and is almost 5" deep. I did get a part out using straight shank carb endmills but It was slow going. Does anyone have a line on tapered shank carb endmills that they like to use on this kind of stuff. I don't want to do special grinds unless it's not too $pendy.

Thanks!

MF

Mold100,

I did use all garr cutters and they worked fine just that they are all straight shank. So a .3125dia hanging out 4.8" is quite the noodle and the run time is higher than the owner wants to see. Maybe I'm trying to work a miracle here I don't know. Idealy, a tapered shank I think would get me closer but I cant find anthng off the shelf that is near long enough. Actually Mitsubishi has some but they're all Japanese stock that will take 6 weeks to get here --bummer.

Look up a company called velocity. I have only recently come across this company. They sell tapered end mills used for cutting ribs in tool steel for mold industry. We cut ribbs on the mills instead of elox. Saves time and money for carbon. check it out. 1 degree cutter with .070 bottom cutting 2 inches deep in ribs. I'm not sure about cutters that big to cut 5 inches deep though.