Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

metric to inch on the fly

kkominiarek

quote:

Did you guys know that you can convert inch values to metric and metric values to inch on the fly without changing the units?

If you are set for inches type 25.4mm into any dialog box field used for floating point input. We do the calculations and give the equivalent inch value. If you are working in metric you would type 1in and get 25.4.

I have a print that has approx. 100 metric dimensions and 15 inch dimensions.

I am in metric and have all metric features drawn up, now I want to add my inch features. I tried the above....create-line-polar---angle/8.18degrees at length/3.375in.....this did not work....it put a 3.375 metric line in. (way to short)

Is it possible to draw a inch line while in metric mode?

stick to 1 system of measure or the other. really dont matter.

quote:

I am in metric and have all metric features drawn up, now I want to add my inch features. I tried the above....create-line-polar---angle/8.18degrees at length/3.375in.....this did not work....it put a 3.375 metric line in. (way to short)

3.375 in metric mode= 85.725mm

the on the fly does not work when entering data in the prompt area mad.gif

it only works in field box data entry

in prompt area use keyboard math functions

* / - +

One trick I use when I get a print that has alot of metric dimensions on it, is I create the geometry to scale in inch mode 1" = 1mm.

Then when it is done I'll scale the whole thing using .03937 for the scale factor. This converts it to the proper size in inches.

If I'm working on a part with all Metric numbers and I need to convert them... I use M (standard calculator memory) to store .03937. So when you multiply the metric number just hit MR (memory recall) and that might save you a couple of key strokes. headscratch.gif

cheers.gif