Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Centerdrilling

jeff

I like to use 90 degree spot drills instead of centerdrills for this purpose. Simply program 1/2 of the desired diameter as your depth and you're good to go. It doesn't matter what size the tool is either as it would with a centerdrill.

I know this doesn't answer your question directly, but I figured it was worth putting out there.

Paul

Jeff,

In a drill toolpath (using Version 9, not 8 btw), you have a little calculator button next to the Depth. If you press that, you can type in the diameter that you want the drill to form. It works out the depth for you. Then you can choose to "overwrite" the current value you may have already typed into the original depth box.

even if it gave you the depth you would always be adjusting the z in your program

I used a chart for centerdrills and they didn't repeat very good.

I think you are better off using the chart and buying the same center drills every time. the difference in grinding will make you adjust the z

"I like to use 90 degree spot drills instead of centerdrills for this purpose. Simply program 1/2 of the desired diameter as your depth and you're good to go. It doesn't matter what size the tool is either as it would with a centerdrill."

Same here. Much tougher than a center drill too. Especially helpful when you have to center small holes in materials like 304SS etc..

-Chuck

A center drill (combination drill) has 2 angles, the tip and the countersink and 2 diameters the tip and the body.

The calculator apears to look at the tip angle only not the countersink angle of the centerdrill. Not to mention that the CURRENT TOOL VALUES rtfaq.gif do not include the tip length.

Again maybe I have been missing something but unless there is some secret value somewhere I can't see how the calculator can figure a center drill depth.

From the Help:

quote:

Using a calculated depth is particularly useful for a spot drill or countersink operation

A center drill is different than a spot drill.

BTW, Welcome to the Forum Lou.

cheers.gif

thanks for the welcome!

cheers.gif

I've been here under a different name

before, but since a recent job change

I've change my 'handle' it seems there

comes a time when even a great job turn

stale.... bonk.giffirebounce.gifcuckoo.gif

now on to the issue.... biggrin.gif

lets say you are using a #4 centerdrill.

the tip dia. is 1/8 and the body is 5/16.

check 'current tool settings'

include 'tool tip dia' (flat on tip) rtfaq.gif

to get a dia. of .200 you would indicate the 1/8

tip dia. and 'overwrite depth' to .0375.

values for this ex. are for a 90 deg CD idea.gif

I hope this helps. it seemed to work for me.

then again, maybe they're not sure of the new guy?

headscratch.gif