Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

mc to solidworks locks solid works

TS53

I searched but did not find anything... so here goes.

When I import a solidworks file (file-converters-parasolid-read) it locks the file so our designer can no longer save his file.

The solidworks files are on a drive where mc has read only rights. It appears to me that mc is putting a lock bit on the solidworks file and doesn't release it. The only solution I have found is to completely exit out of mc and read my mc file back in.

Has anyone else seen this? If so.... what can I do?

Thanks for any suggestions.

we have this problum also ive gone and loaded a differnt mc9 file then gone and got the sw file off my hard drive and reloaded that file and this seams to free up the file in sw for the enginears to work on i dont know if sw2005 will fix this we just started to use it i didnt have this problum before mcam v9 and sw 2004 ????some times ive had to exit out and come back in to free up the sw file ????or maybe X will solve this im not sure weather its a sw or mcam or a combo of both that is doing this ...anyone else have this problum

• 1 month later...

I was of the belief that it was a windows file share issue. Even if the file is read only, Solidworks and windows recognizes that it is being accessed by someone else. I'm no guru but I have made it a practice to copy the file out to another folder and work from it. If the designer is working with the file yet why risk the chance of corrupting the file either is working with. I've had this happen from Solidworks 2001 to 2004, haven't installed 2005 yet.

I am using Mastercam direct out of solidworks 2004. I can't save the file in SW until I close MC. I can edit the file in SW, just not save. I get the following messages: "unknown error opening filepathSW file name ", click OK,and then "an unknown error occured while accessing filepathSW file name". After closing MC, the file saves fine. Since it is just me needing to do this, the workaround isn't too bad.

MattW

Vertex Pharmaceuticals