Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What/How do you charge for contracting.

RuffKutt

quote:

So how do you go about getting paid? Via a contract service or do you have a business license? Or do most of you do your programming for cash only

They write me a check. Customers who pay more than $600 in one year are required by law to file a Form 1099 to the IRS and the income must

be declared on your tax returns.

If you run your side programming like a small business, you can deduct the cost of software

and computers from your income tax.

Its not as good as under the table cash , but it helps.

quote:

How much does a seat of say, Mill Level 3 cost?

Straight from the FAQ :

quote:

12. CNC Software discourages any discussion of pricing over the Internet, and we will respect their wishes on this forum. Around the globe product prices may fluctuate for various reasons including but not limited to economic conditions, varying service structures, international translation costs, and distribution costs.

PEACE biggrin.gif

RuffKut;

Speaking from the otherside of the fence. I have been employing contract programmers for some months now as I come up to speed on MC and try to get a part time guy into my shop. If I were you I would be less worried about what your going to charge then what your going to deliver. I have been very dissatisfied with a couple of the programmers and very happy with one in particular. You need to define very clearly what your customer is asking for and then price accordingly. For instance, If the programmer I higher isn't going to come in and run a first art. part, I want very clear documentation and a guaranty that he's going to fix all the stuff he missed or that I can just load the NC and tools and hit "GO"...... There are a tremendous amount of things that come into play in pricing. If for instance I drop a part on somebody Thursday/Friday and want to be able to successfully run the part Monday AM I don't mind paying x% more. But if I give them all the time in the world and tell them to do everything in there power to make sure it runs right right out of the gate I expect to get great value.

All in all what I'm trying to say is make sure your taking care of your customer before you through an invoice on his desk and expect payment. We're paying for the parts that are produced from the code not the programming time it takes you to write the NC. This is why I was asking about MC certification a while back, it is very difficult to know what your going to get from programmer X before you actually are trying to run parts. IMO some "baseline" training certification needs to be established, respected, and sought by all serious programmers.

One more thing that really will get your a$$ in a sling with a customer is not having your own seat of MC. I would advise that if you don't have your own seat you should not be trying to play this game. Borrowing tools to earn money is not the best idea that I've heard either, renting is a whole different deal though, but may be in violation of CNCs agreement with the owner of the software.

My 2 cents, hope it didn't come across as a rant.

Thanks for not editing the post. HA HA

...and +1 to GreggT

I think pro-reaming is a management position but if you're contracted to do 2 axis type work and some surfacing, I think you should be pretty pleased with 50$/hr. Especially if this is something new to you as I think it is. As long as you're bringing them something that they can't do without your experience. Also you should be willing to ensure the first off.

GreggT, good call. I have been contracting for almost 10 years now.

Having a seat really make's a difference that is for sure.

I don't think you were ranting at all but sharing your experience.

All good thoughts guys.

You also want to be experienced in all kind of work when it comes to this to.

How 'bout this scenario -- you offer programming services for 1 week at $xx/hr. If EMPLOYER smile.gif likey, then next week (and following weeks) is at your rate of $xx + $xx.

Sure, you're a little cheap in the beginning, but if they are truly happy with the results, they'll pay your fair market fee smile.gif . As GreggT mentioned, some programmers are not worth their asking price...

...of course, all the eMastercam members are tops, because we all know where to look for ideas and answers! biggrin.gif