Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New Computer

lou

My boss is having me pick out a new computer and I have to keep in mind to keep the price down. I was wondering if anyone sees anything that they would do different. Pros and Cons. Thank you for your input in advance.

comp-config.jpg

[ 08-03-2001: Message edited by: lou ]

Yikes. A thread like this could start some more fevered debates eek.gif

You have choices...lotsa choices. Are you leaning towards a "big-name" system like something from Dell, Gateway or Compaq? Or will you or a system builder be putting it together? Based on the URL you provided (which doesn't work, BTW), it looks like you're looking at something from Dell. Their Dimension 8100 is a powerful and affordable package, and could prove to be a descent workstation. I purchased my personal system from Dell and their support is top notch. As far as hardware goes, you'd probably want 256MB RAM or more if it's in the budget. Dell only sells PCs with Intel CPUs. AMD CPUs tend to be priced lower for comparable performance. For an affordable and dependable video card, look for a card containing the nVidia GeForce 2 chipset (32MB or more). Get the biggest hard drive possible for your budget. Get a CD-RW if it's in the budget (create for backups). This is a really vague treatment, but I hope this gets your PC hunt, and this thread, started smile.gif

Hi

One way to shop is to buy the a new computer is to get just enough and also the cheapest piece around.

Another is to get the best and pay about 25 percent more.This way the computer will be more competitive on the first day.And usually you can get a little some support if something goes bad.The better equipment will also still be useable for a longer period of time.

(this pitch should get funding for a fast box)

wink.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I've been on Vacation for the last week or so. Nice job Webby! Go away and the whole world moes around on you, sheesh! Guess I'll have to get used to a new GUI. Cool! What does this button do???? Oooops. Just kidding.

Back to the topic at hand. I love these kind of topics. You can learn a lot about what works for some people, and what works for others.

I definitely would not even consider a system with less than 256MB RAM, other specs aside, RAM is the cheapest way to boost system performance (today..... you never know when a chip factory in Taiwan will burn down and RAM goes through the roof again). PIII proces seem to be sliding a bit so you could get a 1GHz box loaded with RAM for under $1K if you do your homework. One thing that can push it over that mark would be the Video card. I won't even address that here because that topic has been beat to death in here and does not need to be resurrected IMHO.

If you are looking at name brand computers, Dell has probably the (my unqualified opinon) best customer support in the biz. Gateway is not far behind from what some of my friends tell me.

Well have a great day.

GO HERE.CanTek

I have bought 6 systems from Bill at CanTek in the last 2 years or so. Custom systems, good prices, support is incredible. He gaurentees overclocked systems for a year, same as his regular systems. My personal system here at work is dual overclocked P3650's running at 865 each stable as a rock with win2k.

Jim

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Anybody else have good success with "Overclocked" Systems? I tried it once (back in the 486 DX4 100 days) with results that were not to my liking.

JAMMAN - Are there more fans than a "standard" system? Bigger fans? More wattage on the Power Supply?

Thanks,

I have 2 fans on each processor, 2fans in the back,one in the front, one on the power supply (300W) and one on the video card. My best results have been with one side of the case open. All the newer motherboards have some way to tell you cpu temprature in the bios. Overclocking is good and safe in my opinion, if you know what you are doing.

Jim

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I started playing with V9 last night. There is an evaluation Document. I'm on Page 10 of 16. Three words - MMMMMMMMM, MMMMMMMMMMM, MMMMMMMMMM. There are some AWESOME new features and that's all I'm going to say until I'm told I can say anything.

And,

if we're only talking about m ' m s.

I want mine with the red packaged seperatly; only one yellow for every three blues, the little green ones only included on Sunday..........

[ 08-11-2001: Message edited by: kathyric ]

[ 08-11-2001: Message edited by: kathyric ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Kathy,

I think most all users of Version 8 will like it a lot, and new user's will certainly like the new CAD features.

I like all flavors of M&M's. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifcool.gif

[ 08-13-2001: Message edited by: James Meyette ]