Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Milling surface with holes

Scot

Hello,

I did a search while not finding the below question although I'm sure it has been asked many times.

Which way would you recommend milling a 3-dimensional surace with holes in it? I am using suface finish scallop to mill a surface with holes in it. The tool tip wants to go inside the hole. I would like the surface to be flat for drilling. Other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank You,

Scot

I should have probably noted that the parts I work with are created in Pro and then converted to an IGES with either surfaces or wireframe.

Mayday, if I followed you correctly, the only setback was that I had to go back and select the filled holes as drive surfaces. But otherwise it worked wonderfully and extremely quick.

Either way, create, surface, trim/extend, remove bndy, and sliding the arrow to the hole worked like a charm for my particular application.

Thank you both for the help.

Greatly Appreciated,

Scot

I will unblank the parent surface and use the containment boundry and machine away. Usually put all parent surfaces on level 255 and then move the parent that I want to a Surface Toolpath level along with the containment boundry. This has been faster than using the fill holes. You can also window the surfaces to select to get them all. Takes longer to generate with overlapping surfaces, but cuts only the highest one.

M2C

Glenn

What I have done is create a surface where the hole is. I then untrim the surface. I then use a chain or circle that repsent the boundary of the hole and trim the surface to it.

If I had Pro I would do all my work there save my soild or Iges but if it were me solid only with the features supressed then you ave a couple different features like you want all done and will get much more predicatable results this way then the patch and fix method gone over here.

Just my humble opinion.

Thanks for the replies. I am now aware of many options to try. Great Ideas. A ton of help. Sometimes I get too busy and overlook the obvious. Supressing the holes in Pro will most likely prove the quickest method.

Thanks Roger...I should have asked you first, but I hate to bother you for every question. I use moldplus for some other modifying features, but I will have to explore it more often.

Thanks Everyone,

Scot