Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

manufacturing dies

HEAVY METAL

good morning

I,m programming alot of parts of a die of some sort. we are making upper and lower shoe stripper plates. retainer plates etc. my question is where is a good place on the web or maybe a book to learn about dies and what the different parts of a die do. i would like to know what the critical parts the die are what parts dont have to be dead nut.

thanks heavy

I'm short on time right now, but on strippers, they're either located in place by pins/bushings, spools (functions like a shoulder screw), sometimes wear plates, or just trapped in by "keepers." Those are the critical things. Everyhthing else is typically clearance for the punches. Since strippers travel up and down, they need free movement, so even those "critical" locating methods I listed above have a certain amount of clearance in them. You don't want them binding up.

I'll try to get some more info for you. Dies are fascinating. I'm not aware of a GREAT book out there, but there may be. The best way would actually be to see a die run and how the part function. It really is cool.

Thad

thad has a thread called oops. in it you can

see a big die. you will also see bushings and

wear plates.like thad said of the strippers

you might have bushing or pin holes to put in

and the rest is basicly clearance for punches.

watch the tolerences and you will know if a

certain part is fussy or not.usally two places

are + or -.01 and three + or - .001.i do alot

of profiling on form punches and die steels.i also do alot of strippers and adapters like

you see in thads die.like thad said i don't

know of any book out there. if you like i could

take some pictures of some of ours to give

you an idea. it would'nt be untill monday.

man i could go on and on about this

hth

cheers.gif marty cheers.gif

Hello Heavy Metal,

I have a couple of books which may be of assistance.

Die Makers Text - Jim Geary - TXu 159-277

Die MAkers Handbook - Gerry Arnold - A-694197

(both are Library of Congress #s)

I have a few others at home and will repost with titles, etc.this afternoon. These two are the better I've seen for details of stamping tools and particularly what's important.

How do I know? I'm a tool maker who uses MCam design for quotations and minor design in a stamping job shop. I also taught a few course at the local college on design.

Figured it was time I put something back into the forum after lurking and sponging for so long.

Later, Paul

Heavy,

Check your mail.

As Marty mentioned, look at the pictures I posted in my Oops! thread in the OT forum. In the second bunch of pics that I posted, the 2 details that I cut are strippers. The funny shapes cut in them are clearance for the funny shaped punches. They are cleared by .030 per side.

These details (the upper stripper) will come down and contact the panel. Under spring or nitrogen pressure, they will hold the panel in place while the uppper continues down and the punches will pass thru the stripper and pierce the holes. On the return stroke, the panel will have the tendancy to stick to the punches, so as it retracts, the stripper's spring/nitrogen pressure will strip the panel off the punches. It's very common to have details mounted to the stripper that acutally contact the panel right near a trim area. Those details are called windows. The detail on the far right has 2 inserts mounted into it. Those are the windows.

A perfect "everyday" example of this is a hole puncher for paper. Whether it's a 3 hole punch or a single hand held punch, the concept is the same. Punch a hole slowly right in front of your eyes. You'll see the same thing happen that I just described above. Cool, huh? biggrin.gif

Hope this helps. As Marty said, "I could on and on." biggrin.gif

Thad

Sorry not to respond as promised Fri... best laid plans and all that rot...

Die Makers Handbook - Industrial press ISBN 0-8311-3132-2 as Kevangel said $28

NTMA Basic Die Making ISBN 0-07-046090-6 Great second choice! simplifies tooling and shows detail requirements but material is dated- wirecutting is mostly a new thing!

Progressive Dies Principles and Practices of Design and Construction SME ISBN 0-87263-448-5 Decent background but not what you need, I think

Techniques of Pressworking Sheet Metal Donald F. Eary ISBN 0-13-900696-6 again, decent background but not what you need, I think

Have fun!