Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

prob with restmill

David Colin

I just tried for a couple hours to make this simple toolpath and really can't do it. I have a simple pocket to rough but stock is not a standard block so i made a STL file but mastercam seems to ignore it and still machining in the air. I tried other restmill way: fake machining or trimmed toolpath (this trick worked but it s not that great...).

I really wonder how STL stock recognition is working with restmill?

What do i do wrong ? Any help needed...

In FTP: MC9_files/Restmill.zip

Using MR304 level 3

Im intersted in what you found out David. I had a look at your file and I would like to know where mastercam is looking for the .STL file? If you put the question mark in the use .stl file it says only for ROUGHING TOOL and ALL PREVIOUS OPERATIONS.If I select use .STL file I can't select Roughing tool aswell? Can someone shread some light please?

Cheers cheers.gifcheers.gif

quote:

What do you mean "can't see" and "check your file net pc"?

I am extremely sorry for this misunderstanding. I don't know in which world I was when I wrote this. May be this is result of editing the post blindly. bonk.gif

What I was saying was "can't check your file because mcam is not on net pc." frown.gif

Hey english is my 4th language. cheers.gif

I just looked at your file and it seems the trick was to add a surface to avoid (don't know the correct word in english Mcam version...). But in this particular case (mine) does restmill is working really with this kind of .stl stock? i mean the already roughed area. Another prob is the tool is plunging in stock and i d like it to plunge in already roughed area... You talked about other way to do it better. 3D pocket? if you could help smile.gif Thanks again

Yes ,I will help when I`ll have free time.

You can do it yourself

As you know ,Surf->pocket not allows nested check boundaries ,that`s why you` ll need to put over the top of milling fake surface the way I did in restmill (I think the Stl problem fools MC9 to think it needs to mill the middle ,so I used surface in restmill )you will have as much controle over plunge as you like .

You can make a slot in faked surface for tool to plunge into it ,select the point there and force the tool to plunge through this point

HTH