Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Spindle Not Running - Feedhold

wildcat99

Late today we started getting "Spindle not running - Feedhold" errors in both programs that have been cycling most of the day.

This is with a xxxxor 8055M control and a twin table Quintax router using proven prgrams that have ran several thousand parts in the past.

New toolholders don't help and there is nothing obvious up inside the spindle. I've turned the power off/on and re-homed. Also re-compiled the PLC with no luck.

Our safety mat used to give this message and the green start button would have to be pushed 3 times to resume once someone stepped off the mat. The mat was disconnected a long time ago though.

I've got a call in to Quintax and will see what they say tomorrow.

I thought I would take a shot here and see if anyone can point me in the right direction before then. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help. cheers.gif

Thanks Jimmy,

The speed is 15000 or 6000, depending on the tool, and the feed is either 100 or 300. The programs should all be fine.....unless something got scrambled in each program?? Our operators don't tweak the programs at all and we don't use inverse time, but I'll double check by deleting these programs from memory and reloading from the hard disk.

This is a case where the operator has cycled through these programs 50+ times today and the last time he pushed the button...feedhold error.

Also the feed override is at 100%, running through the program like normal until the feedhold error pops up, then all axes stop moving and the spindle brakes to zero.

Thanks, you've given me something else to try in the meantime.

I would check for a short in the Feedhold button. It should be an open swtich if so then just unplug it and run it. If it runs and no alram there is possibly your problem. They way to see if it open or closed is to just try. If it is a closed switch ten just put the leads together and see that that does. If it is a percantage of Feedrate like a pediometer then may have to tie 3 together to get to work but could be something as simple as that.

HTH

Hi Wildcat

What did Bert At Quintax say ???

I have found that the relays down along the very bottom of the electrical cab. mostly are 24 VDC and the contacts get a film of corrosion and make them not pass current.

Also the prox. sensor on the spindle may be damaged/bad. this sensor works like the sensor in a engine distributor there is a knotch in a disk atached to the spindle shaft. this sensor sends a pulse to something (spindle drive??) that then alows the machine to move (detects the rotation of the spindle)

Just out of curiosity what is your machine's S/N ours is Q1046

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

To give you a quick update, with Quintax' help we've narrowed it down to a bad wire/connection going into the top of the spindle. This goes to the spindle sensors, one of them being the "drawbar locked" sensor. If this isn't locked, or it doesn't think it is, then everything stops.

Hey Eric, it's been awhile. How's everything? Ours is Q1062.

Wildcat99,

yep the more protective devices the more things that can fail... I thought it must be a input source that was your problem.

We have had some problems with the relays as I mentioned. mainly with Servo Enable (24 VDC) signal to the servo drives but there are 2 (two) of those relays in series before the 24v signal gets to the drives. I finaly took them out,tore them apart scraped the contacts, put back together and it is now working perfectly...

We have machined several aluminum molds (probably 800-1000 lbs of chips) as well as trimming plastic parts. Very happy with our Quintax.