Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Reverse post

Camdude®

Has anyone tried to reverse post in V9.1 Mr0105

or any V9 release for that matter. i have som g-code i need to reverse post with but i keep getting post errors when trying to run it. i need to retrace toolpath for engraving purposes. basically need to see where previous program starts and end engrave so i can add to it with out

overwriting previous engraving. banghead.gifbanghead.gif

camdude: You can usually just ignore all the errors. The reverse post can only read the G0 G1 G2/3 lines. Nothing else. Also, no rotary motion is supported, so if you've got A/B's it'll be an issue. I like to split the .nc file into seperate files with 1 tool per file to make it cleaner as well as being able to backplot the .nci files onto different levels.

Are you using the rp(l)fan from v9.1? I haven't has any real prblems with it. If you can't get a good .NCI, post the .nc on the FTP and I'll take a look at it.

For others: you can run (reverse) a gcode file through rpfan.pst to get an .NCI file. you can then backplot the .NCI and save as geometry to get the toolpath as lines and arcs. If the gcode file has a G41/42 in it, you won't know whether the toolpath is to the part line with full radius comp, or to tool centerline with wear comp, so be careful.

• 3 weeks later...

benito,

Welcome to the forum. smile.gif It's a little more complicated than that. I believe there is also a need to include the menu option for "Reverse" in the Post Processor menu from NC Utilities. This can only be done by editing the "Mill9.TXT" file in the right place to include the reverse post option. Perform a search in this forum by clicking on the link to the left of the "faq" link above. Search for words like "reverse" and "post" or a phrase such as "reverse engineering" for starters. Good luck. HTH biggrin.gif

from .txt file :

menu 1 {

"Post Processor:",

"&Change",

"&Run",

"Re&verse",

"",

"",

"",

"",

"Run &old",

"",

"&Update PST"}

from .pst file

# --------------------------------------------------------------------------

# Numbered questions for Mastercam Mill

90. Drive and subdirectory for NC files?

91. Name of executable post processor? MP

92. Name of reverse post processor? RP

93. Reverse post PST file name? RPFAN

headscratch.gif

Funny you should mention reverse posting cuz the last couple of days I've been reverse-engineering the engraving on our steel rules.

They were programmed many years ago w/ a pencil and calculator. Back in the days when there was only incremental programming , no absolute! , No decimal, just trailing zero formatting

I gotta use a text editor to strip things like G09 outta the nc file. Then edit it w/ mcedit to scale it into decimal (x.0001), insert 2 lines at the beginning , something like

"G90G00X0.Y0.Z.1"

"G91"

save it , reverse post it, and backplot w/ "save as geometry" on.

pain in arse , but better than re-creating from scratch.

cp

ps. also changed incmode in rpfan.pst

# Initialize variables

skp_lead_flgs : 1 #Do not use v9 style contour flags

rpd_typ_v7 : 1 # Convert older drill records to V9.1 format

xh : 0 # Assume the home position (output with G92)

yh : 0

zh : 0

incmode : 1 # Init. Abs. mode - G90 incmode = 0, G91 incmode = 1

cp