Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

mastercam installed on fanuc 180

dougm

From fanuc

Open System CNCs. The Series 180i meets the challenges of those who require highly sophisticated operator interfaces and need to collect SPC data, or who simply wish to use CAD/CAM and other off-the-shelf software tools, right on the machine tool.

hasp would fit in usb port on the back of control panel.

This is a WINDOWS based Funuc control

the machine does not have a cd rom so i would have to install over the network

Doug, I would guess that you should just look at the basic requirements for cam and go from there. Not real sure about the video.... that would be my guess on your first real hangup.

This sounds like a good question for James M.

Good luck

Guys,: 150i/160i/180i/210i are windows based, PC controls. These are not the usual Fanucs (except in appearance) that most of us are used to. I believe it operates on Win2K.

dougm, I would think you have the option to install or plug in a CD rom. I've heard of people installing CAD/CAM on them. I don't know how well they perfom though. For general machining, should be ok. You may have problems with large files or complex stuff though. I'm not sure of the controls speed and options to upgrade this.

cheers.gifcheers.gif

never seen it done with MC, but I have with work nc, looked like a good setup for rapid prototying 3d modeling. each operator/grammer is self suficent. as far as having a pc next to the machine with the cam software? yes its easier to do but we all know what happens to pc's in the shop where as the machines are much better equiped for that. just depends on the type of work one does. if you can plug in a saperate keyboarrd and mouse I would think it would work just fine

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Honestly, my vote would be a solid AGAINST for this adventure. Why you ask? Because IMNSHO CAD/CAM Applications belong on a stand alone PC NOT something driving the servos of my machine tool. PC Based or not it's a bad idea and I can't strenuously object enough.

JM2C

I guess the the question does sound crazy at

first

but it is possible

it appears that is what fanuc intended

I need this only for program edits

I think its a 733 with 128m ram

may be a problem on large files

but most of ours are less than 10meg file size

I could see doing it if the CAD/CAM app was running from a slave drive and not the main HD. Only other issue would be memory unless you could have it use it's own virtual memory file instead of taxing the ram and interfereing with the look ahead. JMO.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

ROFL!!!

Doug anything is possible, but is it practical??? IMO no it's not.

Much more practical to buy an Industrial Computer Case designed for the rigors of the shop floor environment, or you couls buy a cabinet that leaves only the Keyboard and Mouse exposed, then get a Membrane Keyboard and you're pretty much ready to go.

JM2C

quote:

or you couls buy a cabinet that leaves only the Keyboard and Mouse exposed, then get a Membrane Keyboard and you're pretty much ready to go.

or you could buy a cabinet that leaves only your Membrane exposed, then get a Keyboard and mouse and you're pretty much ready to go.

there fixed it tongue.gif

Doug, we had thought about what you are thinking of years back when they were first talking about pc based controls to allow the operators to backplot the programs prior to cutting. Like James mentioned we went to a sepearate pc stationed on the floor and went so far as to put a mill level 1or2 on it for the guys on the floor to program from for the eztraks. It was used by 4-5 people and proved very useful.

dougm,

quote:

I need this only for program edits

The simplest, least expensive solution I believe would be take an old office computer, one with a network card, comm port and decent HD, place it next to the machine, intall a single seat of Cimco Edit Professional on it, and use it to send your programs over to the control via the RS232 connector that every control should have if its worth anything.

Program with Mastercam in the quiet confines of the programming office. Transfer the program via network to the dedicated computer sitting next to the machine. Send the program from said computer to machine using Cimco Edit Professional, which has 3D and 2D Backplot of Generic ISO code as well as many other useful NC functions.

Mastercam is a graphically intense application which requires a dedicated video card with mature OpenGL drivers. Just being able to see the cursor on the screen makes a world of difference to how effective your operators will be able to utilize Mcam. If all you really need is to edit the code, not the program, at the machine, Cimco Edit is more than capable of that. Keep the intricate, sophisticated programming task out of the not so pc-friendly environment of the manufacturing floor.