Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4th axis helix

HEAVY METAL

You can use the T-helix c-hook. In the past I've had trouble to get depth cuts to work with the 3axis rotary toolpath. Had to draw it flat and use axis substitution to get depth cuts to work. It worked well but there was a bit of unwinding of the rotary.

Heavy Metal

If you cut this as a 3D contour using the MPMaster post it should work. On the tool paremeters page check the rotary axis box and make the rotary diameter the same as the od of your part. Also you will want to check the axis substitution button, substitute Y axis button, and choose your rotation direction. Also don't forget to turn off cutter comp. Good luck I hope this helps and that I did'nt forget anything.

If you have a modle, it would work to creat an edge curve at the top and bottom of the groove and use 5axswarf. Post as 4ax. This way it is easy to treat it as a closed contour and go all the way around. I find this is the easeist way to do it when you have a model to give the coustmer exatly what they have drawn. And you can use depth cuts. If you would like you can post it on the FTP and I can show you how I do it.

Aaron cheers.gif

Aaron biggest thing I have always seen with that method is the A and Z axis doing what I call the gitter bug dance. Rolldie or axis sub gives in my some of the cleanest code in Mastercam for doing 4th axis stuff. I did a part not to long ago where I sat there for hours trying to get some decent 4 axis code using 5 axis toolpath. I took about 15 minutes and made some 4th axis toolpath using axis sub that were so pretty I about shed a tear.