Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3D training

John13

I'm going to my reseller(PRISM ENG.) at the end of July for 3D training. I've gone through our V9 tutorial and am starting to get the hang of it, but, I'd like to know more than I do now before I go to the classes. Can anybody suggest what I can do to practice more before I go? Besides doing the tutorial over and over again, unless that would help. Should I just take prints from work and try to draw them in 3D. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank You

Sure can look in folder on the FTP and download some files and try to machine them. I would also suggest take some things around the house and try to draw them 3d and then try to machine them. You will aks what. I would do a bowl, a chair, a sink, kid toys, could even design a rim and try to machine it, don't limit yourself try anything and everything and that should give you plenty.

HTH

Might sound corny but what I do for practice is look around your desk or pick something up and draw it. I think the last thing I did was a salt shaker biggrin.gif Pick the easier things to start with then work your way up to the stapler!

quote:

Should I just take prints from work and try to draw them in 3D.

Answer: yes!

By the way, have fun in class!

cheers.gif

I have attended a few classes up there when Phil was doing all the teaching and was very impressed. Prism does a bang up job on everything they provide. I would take some jobs from work home and create some 3d models from the 2d prints and then start developing the tool paths. If you need any help drop me an e-mail or jump on the phone. We are just down the road a piece.

O/T Do you own a goldwing to go with the animation at the bottom of your signature? I have been riding a Valkyrie for the last few years and I am starting to get the itch for a new bike.

Thanks for the suggestions, thats what I was looking for. Time to get drawing.

quote:

O/T Do you own a goldwing to go with the animation at the bottom of your signature? I have been riding a Valkyrie for the last few years and I am starting to get the itch for a new bike.

No, I just bought an Electra Glide Classic at the begining of May. Smiley central doesn't have any Harleys, so I just picked the blue bike they had.

I won't hold it against ya. I love to go riding, it is one of the few things that calm me down, then I find a curvy road and see how long I can drag one of those pegs. I am looking for a used rice rocket so I can take it a little easier on the Valk.

I know when I went for the 2D class a couple years ago, Matt was teaching that, I think he had started right befor that.

As far as solids, we don't have the solids option. I don't know much about it, maybe I should take that class and see if maybe we should get Solids, we do have a more and more engineers giving me solidsworks files to work from.

BTW, nice car

John,

I went to the 3-D and solids training in May. I would suggest, as I did, that you bring a lot of questions with you on the material that is un-clear to you. The training was good, but I feel more time needed to be spent on generating toolpaths from a solid. Things like check surfaces and drive surfaces really needed to covered better. Matt is a great instructor and will help you out with anything.

Have Fun

John G.

Dan,

Just send him out the shop floor and ask him to get his hands dirty for 1 day , and I doubt you will see him the next. We have hired a couple of younger guys, and when you ask them to set something up all you got is a blank stare. One guy even had the nerve to tell us that he was a programmer and not a machine monkey. Must be more work out there than I am seeing.