Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Pro Router vs LvL 3 Mill

DC Gorn

One of our sister companys was told by there reseller that Pro Router was just as good as level 3 mill at programing 5 axis mills. Anyone heard of this before?

The Company bought the router and all I we hear now is Mastercam is junk. We are not sure if its a training issue or a post issue or Router/Mill issue.

I run Router Pro to Program Thermwood 3 & 5 axis routers and also a Haas VF-5. Without having some more info I would take a guess that it is propbably the post that they complaining about. Good 5-axis router posts are not easy to come by, and not cheap. Thermwood has their posts written by an outside source and they seem to do really well. As far as Mastercam is concerned, no complaints here with the Router Pro package.

Well I would say Junk in Junk out. I programed a Thermwood Model 67 5 axis as well and did some really killer parts. There are a few other guys doing the same thing. I wonder if Router-Pro is saying Matercam is junk verse maybe the comapany. Not to point fingers but have they been trained in 5 axis programming and can they even do it? Posts can be configured for the Thermwood using MPGEN5ax but not an easy task os cheaper to have your dealer do it or get it. There are outside companies that offer posts for router but locked up so tight you could make diamonds with the posts.

HTh

Normally when I hear someone say Mastercam is junk its a training or post issue (or post training) just in this situation they have added in the Router. Since I know nothing about Router I have no idea if its a factor. I have no clue if Router has had all the upgrade the Mill lvl 3 has or if it has all the features.

One thing they are trying to do is bring 5 axis programs from a mill lvl 3 site and repost out of router.

They will have problems the place I left purchased Router and tried to bring in Mill3 five axis programs and had all kinds of problems. Solution to problem buy the same thing that you originally made the program with =(mill level 3) and have the same post or it will give you problems.

Router Pro actually has more functions than Mill L3. It has to be a post problem. You can't just take another softwares post and expect it to produce code from other programs. Thermwood's stuff is all proprietary so I would doubt any of it would work thru and of the Mastercam modules. I don't do any 5 axis stuff but have programmed several mills and machining centers with my routerpro. Right Post, right machine, right output.

quote:

Normally when I hear someone say Mastercam is junk its a training or post issue

BINGO!!!

How many times do you get noobs telling you it is junk when they can't even run a 2d toolpath none the less 5ax. Don't critisize just because you can't comprehend.

The other problem that may be causing problems is they are trying to take Mastercam files from a DMU to a to a Mazak Variaxis. While I think the DMU's "smart 5 axis controler" can handle multi WCS I thing the Mazak wants the part placed at the neutating point (AKA Machine zero to match Mastercam zero). Or at least the post is that way.

Thanks for the help so far, sounds like the Router software is much less a problem then I feared.